african geese opinions

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
hey yall im new to back yard chickens and would lick to start by saying this is an AWESOME site and i love it!!!for my very first question, i would like to know wat yall think of african geese..... im thinking of getting some next spring. i have lots of chickens and ducks but am really considering geese. any info would help!!!!!

First of all...
welcome-byc.gif

And I have no idea on the geese... I am thinkin about gettin some this spring but im not sure... Some geese expert will come along and help!!!
big_smile.png

thanks. i just think they are so beautiful looking on the water- and BIG!!!! i hatched one a few years ago but it died a few hours after it hatched:( do you hatch your own birds?

I added to my flock of chickens this spring several Muscovy ducks, a pair of pilgrim geese, and three arficans. I enjoy them, with the exception of my pilgrim gander has a bad attitude. He attacks everyone, not just strangers.
My advice would be get them but don't be afraid to cull (or eat) any bad ones. Also, be aware they have negatives which include:
Africans are very vocal, of course if you live in the country it may not bother you (it doesn't me). I have read that many breeds of goose, the males get very aggressive defending their females when sexually mature, and almost all do the same when they have babies. Geese may not be appropriate around small children. I have a 2 year old which must be very closely supervised and protected from the pilgrim gander.

Back
Top Bottom