African Goose Questions ...

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
Hello all -

Through the summer, I started talking to an older woman at my church who has rasied Africans for 25+ years. A pair she claims to have had 23 years hatched out a brood of 5 this summer and she wanted to rehome her other pair of geese, as she's in need of space. I gladly accepted the pair into our flock, and after their quarantine, they're out free ranging with the chickens & ducks.

I absolutely love these geese. They're not friendly, but not aggressive or pushy in any way. They're actually pretty shy, and will avoid conflict unless you corner them. Then, look out! The gander is quite protective of the hen. All in all, they're very regal looking and I love having them in my yard.

I've done a bit of googling on them but haven't seen much on life expectancy of these birds. She said the hen who laid and brooded the goslings is 23. The pair I have, she purchased 8 years ago as goslings. How long do they actually live?

I think I have a male and a female. I think. Here's a couple pics:

Female?
5981_img_1440.jpg

Male?
5981_img_1439.jpg

Is there only a cartain time of year they breed or am I just missing it? I've yet to see him mount her, and I've had them about 6 weeks. The previous owner said that she lays 30 or so eggs every Spring but she never sets on them. She didn't know if they were fertile or not. I want babies. LOL

Anyway, any advice, facts, personal experiences are welcome.

Blessings-
Em

Heads are lovely.

Geese normally only breed and lay eggs in the spring. You'll have better luck if they have water to breed in.

If she won't set, you'll have to incubate the eggs.

My goose (different breed) looks like she is ignoring the nest up until the point that she decides she has enough eggs. With an egg laid every other day, it takes her awhile to gather up a clutch. I just leave her alone and eventually she will set on them. That doesn't mean your goose will set, but it is possible that she wasn't ever given enough time.

Eventually, I will incubate the first eggs of the season and then let her hatch a clutch. After she hatches goslings, she is very likely to be done laying for the season.

I wondered. Now I'm excited for Spring.

Any idea on their lifespan? The lady I got them from says her pair is 23, and their lifespan is supposed to be 10-15 years.

Thanks-
Em

I would also like to know how old they live. I couldn't find much on age for geese either. I have a Super African and got her when she was a month old. I suppose my goose and my horses will be with me for a really long time....... lol. It's ok because I adore their company
smile.png

Well, I ran into the lady I got them from and asked her again about the age of her other pair. She said she got them the year her last child graduated and that was 1988. So, 23 years old. Crazy.

The pair I have are 8 years old.

The different sites on the web that I have found either don't list an age, or say 10-15 years. I'm confused.
lol.png

Blessings-
Em

I had always been told that the average life span of geese was anywhere from 10-20 years. Breed, gender, living conditions, etc. can all affect their life span and many end up dieing of something other than old age. I have heard of some geese that lived into their early 20's though. I currently have an American Buff female that will be 15 in the Spring and an African female that will be 18 in the Spring.

Quote:
That is just amazing. I never would have thought they lived so long. Now I have something to look forward too. Gee, I'm 50 and they just may out live me...... lol.

Quote:
That is just amazing. I never would have thought they lived so long. Now I have something to look forward too. Gee, I'm 50 and they just may out live me...... lol.

I've already told my son that Sammy my goose and him will be very happy together.
lol.png

Quote:

I've already told my son that Sammy my goose and him will be very happy together.
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
Definitely something to think about!
hit.gif

Africans "can" reach thirty years of age, though most die of other causes before an old age can be reached.

As far as yours go, they aren't showable (Which it looks like that doesnt matter to you, but just pointing it out.)

When given proper conditions, she "should" go broody on her eggs. If for some bizarre reason she doesn't go broody for you, you can always just artificially incubate them.

Back
Top Bottom