1. Birdman18

Birdman18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Hi,
    I have an african grey parrot that suddenly stopped talking and singing. She makes these wierd sounds when she breathes. Other than that, I see no other symtoms that are out of the ordinary. Does anyone know of a medicine or antibiotic I should give her?

Thanks

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I woulds call a vet. It sound like a breathing issue.

3. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Thanks Golden Sparrow,
    I'm going to see if I can get a vet to come to the house.

4. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Aaaww I hope she is ok and you can get a vet to take a look at her

5. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Thank you Fly 2006,

I called a vet today to see if they deal with parrots. Turns out they even take house calls and can come to the house, which is good since my parrot is very skittish and it is difficult to take her out of the cage and bring her in. Shes just nervous sometimes. I'll have to make an appointment tomorrow hopefully they can come to take a look at her. I didn't even know they were vets who can come to the house instead of bringing the bird in person, very convenient.

6. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop

Good for you! Any changes in normal behavior can indicate an illness, and especially if your bird seems to be making unusual noises while breathing! Respiratory issues are very serious and parrots often hide illness until they are quite sick. When I used to work with parrots and the public, I always urged people to see a vet the moment that something was wrong, because delay can be disastrous. Sometimes it was a false alarm, and I felt bad... but more often than not, it was something serious. I hope all goes well with your veterinarian visiting!

7. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    I couldn't believe today, my African grey today was singing and talking today like she always has. She seems perfectly fine now, just cant figure out how one day shes quiet all day then the next shes all better as if by magic. I'm going to pay more attention to her now as a warning. Do parrots have sensitive respiratory systems? Because I remember someone working in my house and they were sawing sheetrock that made a lot of dust all over the house. I bet that what caused her to get sick for a few days, it makes sense. I'm glad she's doing better.

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Birds are extremely sensitive to air quality. Remember how they used to use canaries in coal mines? If the bird died the people evacuated the area-or they evacuated the mules working in the mine.

Don't keep your bird in or near the kitchen as the fumes from an overheated non-stick pan will kill them.

Try not to smoke in the same room as your bird, and don't allow people to smoke around them.

Yes, be observant on what goes on around your bird.

9. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Do you cook with teflon pans?Teflon throws off something that will kill birds.I forget what it is,so if someone else knows what it is please chime in and let us know.I think it was fumes,but I am not positive.
    In N.H.,Tony.

10. Birdman18

Aug 8, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Thanks guys,

Yes I have her in a different room away from the kitchen, I remember when I first got her from the breeder they told me to be careful with cooking certain pans with the teflon. I'll keep away from any telfon pans.

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by