African or Chinese Geese? Confused

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Orcae, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Our geese were sold to us as African geese from a large hatchery in California (I don't remember the name). On species identification websites, they don't match the description of African geese. They match the description of Chinese geese (which I know are very closely related). My mom says there's two kinds of African geese; a bulkier kind and a lighterweight kind, and our's are lightweights. I can't find info on "two kinds" of African geese online. Hoping someone here can help clear this up!
    Here they were as babies;

[​IMG]

And adults;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. misfitfarm

misfitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    Chinese, I have two males. Fun, noisy and protective geese!

3. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Definitely noisy and protective! Our's get really aggressive during breeding season...do your's?

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I never heard of lightweight Africans. Some people probably got confused about the somewhat similar appearance of African and Chinese and used the term "lightweight African" about Chinese Geese.

Africans are heavyweight, and they have the dewlap. They're also supposed to have different knob shapes from the Chinese according to Wikipedia.

5. n4zty

n4zty Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    remember this so u wont get confused with brown chinese and africans if they long skinny neck its chinese short stubby neck africans. hopes that helps.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Large numbers of the "Africans" never get heavy enough to meet the standard set by the American Poultry Assn. Nor do they develope Dewlaps, at the same time they are different from the pure Chinese. The answer is that these are cross breeds. Some where in their family tree there is a Chinese goose. If it was done on purpose it was to up the number of eggs produced for hatching since the light Chinese produce many More eggs than the heavy African. The true african is known for docile temperaments. The Chinese just the opposite. Some hatcheries know that their birds aren't to standard so sell them as "light Africans"~gd

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They might be non-show quality Africans or hybrids. They seem to have an African look to me, but may have a little Chinese somewhere in their close past. However, temperament says it all. Chinese, especially the ganders, are more aggressive, but even that's not a 100% sure thing.

8. Orcae

Orcae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    We gave them back their gosling today and the male attacked her 4 times before we got him out of there. That, paired with how aggressive he is in general, has made us think about selling him [​IMG] Of course, now the females are 4 times as aggressive as they were before now that they have their baby. Sigh.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They do look like Africans with their shorter, thicker, necks. You probably won't find info on 2 types of Africans because technically there aren't. There are production Africans (what you have) that are often crossed with Brown Chinese to increase production, then there are the large Dewlap Africans. Most breeders do not consider the production Africans Africans at all, much the same way that a Rhode Island Red or Barred Rock breeder doesn't consider the birds sold by hatcheries to be breed representatives. Granted, you can purchase the Dewlap Africans from hatcheries but most times if you just get 'Africans' you are getting a Brown Chinese/African cross (production African).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  10. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    chineese probably.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by