After 2 long months the coop is done and I just have to show it off.

Well planned and well done. Did you run water to the site? I could not tell about wiring. Did you install lights? I really like the feeder and I can say you have done it right judging from the ones I have seen. Covered porch is great and is something almost no one thinks of when they build, until that rainy day comes and they go to gather eggs.

One thing I would do though. I would run 1/2" hardware cloth around entire perimeter to keep coons from reaching in to run. Chooks can be decapitated or ripped into pieces that way. And they WILL come in daylight unless you have a dog loose on premises 24/7. From what I can see, climbing preds will get nothing more than exercise by climbing your run walls ! Great job.
smile.png

Absolutely gorgeous! I'd would also like to have those instructions on your feeder! This will solve a big problem for me! Beautifully done!

Quote:
No, I didn't have to do anything to treat the posts. Cedars have a center that is impervious to insects or rot. The exterior of the posts will rot like any other wood but my posts have a large center so they'll be standing 100 years from now if no one takes them up.

Quote:
Any luck getting the scanner to work? I would love to build one of those feeders! I guess most folks could just look at it and figure out how to make it- but not me. I need instructions! You have built a truly awesome coop, you should be very proud of yourself. I'm still struggling along converting my 5x8 storage box into a coop. It's been a month now, and I'm still not done. But it is coming along... with no instructions!

I've had several requests about the feeder. I'm going to make it a priority this morning to try to get something on my page with dimensions and design. I pretty much built it from memory from 40 years ago when my dad raised pigs and he used the old metal hog feeders. Mine is a mini version with a few modifications. The secret is the angle of the exterior walls and the V wedge inside and the 1/2 - 3/4" opening at the bottom.

I just completed a new page on the design and construction of the self feeder. I wish I had taken more detailed pictures but I'm hoping everyone gets the idea.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=36856-self-feeder-plans

Back
Top Bottom