After 25 Years without an Electric Company You learn how to do what most today consider impossible.

Freedomrange

Chirping
Jan 22, 2022
My Wife and I have raised Standard and Bantam Chicks with hot water bottles and bags. A year later I here the same ones Crowing out there. Someone tell them it's 3:30 AM
It's OK I think there's another Person living out there a mile or so away.
It can most definitely be done. There's 40 Chicks in Our Travel Trailer right now with 50+ outside and 50+ next week. Taking that step to live this way requires a Love for Freedom more than Comfort. There are trade offs. Like not being able to leave if things get too wet and Roads that can make You want to pull Your Hair out. But hey, Freedoms not cheap. Blessings!

Yes, freedom means different things to different people. I love living in the country, and I admire anyone who can live off the grid. I am not one of those folks. Primitive camping for several years reinforced the value of indoor plumbing for me.

In fact, it's about this time every year when the temps plummet, winds howl and snow threatens to pile up AGAIN that I wistfully remember "the good old days" when I lived in town where winter seemed less daunting.

In the past couple of weeks, I lost electricity (only for a couple of hours, thank goodness), the kitchen faucet quit working, and there was almost 8 inches of snow to remove so I could get on and off the property (not to mention having to shovel paths so I could feed all my critters). I am under yet another wind chill advisory (will feel like 25 below, says the cheerful newscaster) that will make chores greatly unpleasant again today.

But, every time I overcome a challenge out here, it feels good. I am far from self-sufficient, but I sure like doing what I can. One of my (city) friends says he admires what he calls my "fortitude." I call it dealing with reality my own way.

Congratulations on making things work for you and yours!

hats off to you. I live "remote", and quite simply in many ways, but no power is a step too far (for my wife, mostly), but I sure enjoy being able to charge the cell phone and refrigerate the arnold palmers. Actually, refrigeration/freezing and running the well pump are the two biggest reasons I need power. Then hot water - its nice not needing to build a fire. I've gotten soft in my old age, and not just around the middle!

Again, hat's off, that's quite the accomplishment in the modern age!

My Wife and I have raised Standard and Bantam Chicks with hot water bottles and bags. A year later I here the same ones Crowing out there. Someone tell them it's 3:30 AM
It can most definitely be done. There's 40 Chicks in Our Travel Trailer right now with 50+ outside and 50+ next week. Taking that step to live this way requires a Love for Freedom more than Comfort. There are trade offs. Like not being able to leave if things get too wet and Roads that can make You want to pull Your Hair out. But hey, Freedoms not cheap. Blessings!
Thanks Brother,
I do have Great Solar Power that runs a Swamp Cooler in Summer and We do use about $1500 a year in Propane. So its pretty comfy. My Wife took some convincing also. Ha! I know, As a Very Small Business owner on Old Rt, 66 I speak to alot of People who want to get off the grid. My Solar Freezer is a real Blessing with 3 other propane refrigerators. Have not used the wood stoves for many years. It's a Just in case propane gets too expensive. Hey, Thanks for the reply. Got 18 more assorted Bantams coming this Thursday. Making Coops like Crazy out here. Have a Good One.

Hello fellow off-gridder! I raise my chicks with hot water bottles and jars hot water. There's always a way, though it often gets creative!

Shouldn't your name be moderntimesrich then instead of @cavemanrich ? :D
My name actually is based on my cave exploring adventures. (spelunking)
1643062599851.png

Back
Top Bottom