After 5 months, a GREEN egg! Is this an Easter Egger?

msgenie516

The Happy Hen
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Nesconset, LI, NY
Hi,

I have had this hen about 5 months but never knew what she was. She also never laid an egg until yesterday. I don't know if she's old (she doesn't look it, but you never know) or if this is her first egg and she's a late layer. The reason I would say she could be a late layer is that she looked full grown when I got her 5 months ago. However, she was extremely lightweight for her large size and may not have been fed properly.

I don't know if being undernourished could make her lay later than normal. Now she has packed on the pounds (they eat well around here!) and the egg she laid was "smallish", weighing 1.8 ounces, leading me to believe it could be a pullet egg for a large bird. Also, the long stretched out shape also makes me think it could be a first egg. I am hardly an expert about this, but these have been my observations. I purchased her at a pigeon store (they sometimes get chickens) and I don't know anything about her history--breed, age, etc.

She has barely any comb or wattles and her feet and legs are black or maybe very dark gray. Her head looks large compared to the rest of her. She has a wonderful disposition and gets along very well with both my Silkies and Leghorns (after being extremely flighty in the beginning, the Leghorns have become extraordinarily docile and friendly). The egg she laid is sort of an drab olive green. I just inserted larger pictures than I previously had and I hope they will be helpful.

I had no idea what kind of chicken she might be until I found the green egg, which led me to the idea of an Easter Egger. Could that be? In any case, I feel she is a beautiful bird, even if she never lays another egg!

Thank you for your help!

ee1.jpg

ee2.jpg

ee3.jpg

Last edited:
Before the arucana/ameracauna police get to you, let me give you the skinny as I see it.

Yes, that is an easter egg (probably her first as you guessed), but the hen is properly called just an Easter Egger. Kind of a Heinz 57 variety description for any chicken that lays blue/green eggs.

Ameracaunas by definition have muffs & ruffs and will breed true. EEʻs when bred will revert to their parental strains, but may pass on the colored egg gene resulting in more EEʻs - The Next Generation!

Arucanas are very rarely seen outside of show rings. They carry a fatal gene that results in high mortality prior to pipping. They are also recognizable by the lack of a tail or even the last vertebrae of their spine.

Bottom line, if youʻre not a biologist, 4-Hʻer or someone who is serious about showing her birds, enjoy her. Sheʻs beautiful and hopefully will grow into being a good, consistent layer of colorful eggs.

Hi,

Thank you all for all of your help and compliments! I loved this chicken before she ever laid an egg, so this is an added bonus. I bought her just because she was so beautiful, although I didn't know anything about her.

And, yes, I was really excited when I found the green egg where she had been sitting. I couldn't wait to get into the house so I could call hubby! He was shocked, too!

I had always wanted an "Easter Egger" but the hatcheries require you to buy too many chicks (I have too many chickens already--can't seem to pass one up when I see it) and even the minimum of 8 (for my location--too far from the city to buy less) from My Pet Chicken was too much. So I was delighted to find out she is the "Easter Egger" I always wanted!

And today...she laid another green egg! WOW! So I guess she is a young hen that just came into lay--what good luck!

Back
Top Bottom