After a bear attack ...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Settn Hooks, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Settn Hooks

Settn Hooks New Egg

Oct 14, 2008
    Hens stopped laying ... ?!?! About a month ago I had a bear get in my hen house and get one of my hens. I had 10 hens and they averaged 8 -10 eggs a day, usually closer to 8. Right after the attack they quit laying for a day or two, then it was no more than 3 eggs max for about 3 weeks, then it went to 2 then 1 and now for almost a week nothing. So my question is .. Could they be traumatized to the point they stop laying altogether ?? I have also heard it my be that they are molting ?? I'll list some info that may or may not be helpful. I live in central FL. They have a 10' x 10' enclosed hen house and a 10' x 10' outdoor run, and get run of a 1/2 acre fenced in yard (not laying in the bushes)3-5 hrs a day. They will be a year old the first week of november. They consist of 2-EEs 2-BarredRocks 5-RIRs. They always have fresh water/food and have oyster shell available at all times, and are fed a quality food made for laying hens. I have already ran into rat snakes getting into the hen house and have since snake proofed the laying area. I don't mind to start over with chicks again but I can't afford to feed chickens for an extended period of time with out atleast getting anough eggs for my family. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    I know that being tramatized can interupt egg laying, but it sounds like it has been long enough for them to start laying again.

If they are molting, which you will have feathers all over the place, they will stop laying. The process takes about 2-3 months and then they resume laying.

Good luck and hope they start laying again. We have 2 coops so when the older hens start molting the younger ones are laying really well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by