After delivering new emus come home to find carnage.

Yep a 25 lb rat killing shake it till it dead jack russell . It grabed the bird over the 4 ft fence bu the lower beak. It hung on shaking it till it cut thru its jaw and throat. Shaking and tearing with the help of the top of the chain link. I would post the pics but they are way too graphic and much to upsetting for me at this time. Second guessing what I know is just insulting. Put one in with your birds and turn your back if you don't believe me.

I reread your first post again, and see you ment it never got on the Emus side of the fence but grabbed the emu when I suppose the emu peeked over the fence out of curiosity. Makes more sense now (I was envisioning the dog in the pen with the emu). No need to feel insulted, i've lost a young emu to a predator too and am just trying to help.

edit: in my avatar, in the sand between my Emu and that closed barn door is where I buried him. Bobcat got him at night, and this is 100 feet from my back door.

Last edited:
I have found that electric fence works very well on dogs. They don't see it and think the jolt came from God. It takes one good jolt and in my experience, they won't go anywhere near there again.

Agreed! Nothing worked with my akitas to keep them off our fence. I don't like them 'jumping and barking' at other dogs/people. One zap of the electric fence and they have not gone near that 'biting' fence again :)

I'm so sorry this had to happen to your emu.
I have found that electric fence works very well on dogs. They don't see it and think the jolt came from God. It takes one good jolt and in my experience, they won't go anywhere near there again.

Oh Foulman I am so sorry. I got emus because of the neighbors three Jack Russell terriers that he lets run loose. That is so scary. Why in the hell can dog owners not keep their dogs on their own property? Nothing makes me angrier.

Again so sorry.

Mary

Because to a lot of people all owning a dog means is giving it food and water, course the same goes for many animals. Forget any of the other responsibilities that come with taking proper care of an animal, just toss it in the back yard with some water and cheap dog food.

The saddest part of it all is it all too often ends badly for the animal when they get hit by a car or they get out of control and someone shoots the dog in self defense or in defense of others.

Oh no! I am sooo sorry for your loss. What a horrible way to die.
hit.gif

Dear FM,

As one of the lucky recipients of your baby chicks, I am absolutely horrified at what you returned to! I'm glad that the neighbor is getting rid of the dog, but as you said, that will just make his child sad.

Barbara and Ernie are enjoying their life with the herd sire, although he (and the head farm cat) seem to be scared of them. Because it has been so cold recently, we take them inside at night and keep them near the baby chickens, but they let us know when they wake up with their whistling. Then it is back to their pen, inside of the male's pasture.

I'll attach a photo so you can see them.
Well, I couldn't get it to work, so maybe I'll make it my photo for the forums.

Take care.

Sara

Last edited:
I am glad they are doing well. I have let my male 'raise' the 5th chick. watching how he cares for the chick is a very interesting interaction, the vocabulary of hisses and growls is quite extensive. the rest of the flock keeps their distance from him. I think out of respect not fear . of course the downfall is that the chick will stay behid the male and will not approach me.

on to the other bit . my piece of crud neighbor still has his dog. I guess its just easer to lie to keep out of trouble.

Foulman,
I’m pleased that you’ve raised the subject of vocabulary. There is a significant range of noises in the vocabulary – far more than just ‘male = grunt’ and ‘female = boom.’ One might make an extensive study of it. I have seen an alpha emu respond to a single noise a hundred yards off in the trees by instantly running full pelt off after the caller, who must have emu-said something challenging or rude.

Supreme Emu

Back
Top Bottom