After my button quail chicks hatch then what do i do??

oh my doesnt seem like very much good advice on buttons is all i can say :/

dont use a heat rock OR a heat lamp heat lamps get way to hot all you need is an incandecent 60 watt light bulb and a reflector lamp post.
light bulb-2 bucks for a 4 pack reflector lamp-10 bucks at the most.

i have used a reptile heat rock once-killed the babies due to them trying to wedge themselves underneath of it (like all chicks will due its instinct) just go with the normal light bulb and the reflector lamp.

for bedding for young chicks pick up some  drawer liners they are spongey rolls of liner cut it to fit perferably keep 2 big enough sheets so you can rinse one and dry it everyday while replaceing it with the new one. this prevents the chicks from slipping around and its easy for the tiny babies to eat due to not looseing there food in the large pieces of wood shavings.

on night 14 i set up the brooder i turn on the light and put the thermometer under the light and adjust as needed the heighth of the light untill the temp reading on the thermometer reads 100 degress exactly and doesnt raise or lower.

if youve ever incubated button quail then you know exactly how the act after only about 20 minutes after hatching they IMEDIETLY begin searching for FOOD personally i take my newly hatched chicks out of the incubator and into the brooder lightly coverd by a soft cloth after an hour and have not lost a single chick to being chilled and it takes them only about another hour to be fully fluffy and dried and running around pecking for food and drinking water.

youll want to feed them gamebird crumble ground up to the consistancey of corn meal (VERY FINE!!!) also a water dish should be a jar lid with marbels in it to prevent drowning.

the first chick will take the longest to dry off but the second one will snuggle up to the first and dry off within 30 minutes.
Don't start something, this is my first time hatching buttons and I know better. Heat lamp, compacted wood shavings and you seem a little intimidating.. For the record; no offence... :mad:{})

Don't start something, this is my first time hatching buttons and I know better. Heat lamp, compacted wood shavings and you seem a little intimidating.. For the record; no offence... >
sad.png
{})

Umm, do you realize you are replying to a post that is over two years old?

Well, you should keep them in a brooder(draft free box) with quail starter feed, a waterer, with marbles in the water so the chicks can still get water but can't drown, and some clean bedding(pine works best) If you don't want to use a heat lamp, the only thing i can think of is using a small room heater that can keep the brooder at about 98 degree's without burning. Also the chicks NEED light to see their food, and water, and eachother, so you will need some sort of bright light source on them. I say just use a heat lamp.They need the heat source for about 4-5 weeks or until they are fully feathered. 60-75 watts would be the best option. Just make sure the floor is 98 degrees.
My button quail are flying out of the box. I am

Back
Top Bottom