After my button quail chicks hatch then what do i do??

if it's only been a couple days, just leave them. This is when they are most sensitive. I know it's hard to wait but you just have to have patience :D What is your temperature and humidity at?

Humidity is at 55 it was at 50 last night and 40 this morning so I added a little bit more water to the sponge very quickly , my temp is at 99- 99.5 hard to tell right now the therm is tilted away from me ( on the egg turner) it's been consistant at 99.5 It's a cheap glass one so it's hard to tell exactly but it's defiantly around those temps

oh my doesnt seem like very much good advice on buttons is all i can say :/

dont use a heat rock OR a heat lamp heat lamps get way to hot all you need is an incandecent 60 watt light bulb and a reflector lamp post.
light bulb-2 bucks for a 4 pack reflector lamp-10 bucks at the most.

i have used a reptile heat rock once-killed the babies due to them trying to wedge themselves underneath of it (like all chicks will due its instinct) just go with the normal light bulb and the reflector lamp.

for bedding for young chicks pick up some drawer liners they are spongey rolls of liner cut it to fit perferably keep 2 big enough sheets so you can rinse one and dry it everyday while replaceing it with the new one. this prevents the chicks from slipping around and its easy for the tiny babies to eat due to not looseing there food in the large pieces of wood shavings.

on night 14 i set up the brooder i turn on the light and put the thermometer under the light and adjust as needed the heighth of the light untill the temp reading on the thermometer reads 100 degress exactly and doesnt raise or lower.

if youve ever incubated button quail then you know exactly how the act after only about 20 minutes after hatching they IMEDIETLY begin searching for FOOD personally i take my newly hatched chicks out of the incubator and into the brooder lightly coverd by a soft cloth after an hour and have not lost a single chick to being chilled and it takes them only about another hour to be fully fluffy and dried and running around pecking for food and drinking water.

youll want to feed them gamebird crumble ground up to the consistancey of corn meal (VERY FINE!!!) also a water dish should be a jar lid with marbels in it to prevent drowning.

the first chick will take the longest to dry off but the second one will snuggle up to the first and dry off within 30 minutes.

oh my doesnt seem like very much good advice on buttons is all i can say :/
Speak for yourself, I have raised hundreds of them with the way I have just outlined. Which is 95% identical to the way you do it if you actually read all the posts. So don't be so quick to publicly post on a thread that everyone who has posted advice is no good. Especially when there is a new person involved who only wants to learn. Share your experiences, please, but try to refrain from bringing other posters down - you are not the only person here with experience, after all.

Ok ok let's be nice and all get along no need to through anyone under the bus!!! All thè advice that has been given is very helpful Thank You everyone for sharing your knowledge with me I really appreciate you all helping me out!!! This is the best website , I love it!! Everyone knows so much !!!

If you don't have a lot of experience 6+ hours is a good wait time, or until the chicks are fluffy. If they begin to seriously peck each other you may need to pull them earlier, just make sure you get them somewhere with no draft and 95ish degrees. No skid shelf liners or something grippy for the floor to avoid foot/leg problems. It's really that easy, and similarly kind of a pain in the but. The reward are cute healthy fuzz bottoms.

You can remove them to a brooder as soon as they are dry, within an hour or so. they will need to find food and water quickly. you can help them find it by placing the food on the floor of the brooder in several places and also in a small container, like a jar lid. and keep the water with marbles in it, so they do not drown, away from the heat source and change several times a day. If they act like they cannot find it tap with your finger in the water and food dish and they will come see what the noise is. Button quail are a bit different than regular quail. good luck and keep us posted.
I remove mine as they dry one reason is they are hard enough to catch when its just one but if you have a bator full you might loose some on the floor! be warned they are really quick and can jump pretty good too! If you move quickly you will not loose too much heat or humidity in your bator while removing them.

Well, you should keep them in a brooder(draft free box) with quail starter feed, a waterer, with marbles in the water so the chicks can still get water but can't drown, and some clean bedding(pine works best) If you don't want to use a heat lamp, the only thing i can think of is using a small room heater that can keep the brooder at about 98 degree's without burning. Also the chicks NEED light to see their food, and water, and eachother, so you will need some sort of bright light source on them. I say just use a heat lamp.They need the heat source for about 4-5 weeks or until they are fully feathered. 60-75 watts would be the best option. Just make sure the floor is 98 degrees.
NO pine shavings... That causes respiratory issues. Like asthma. This is bad for newborns. And can shorten their lives. Use compacted wood bedding or anything but pine, cedar and newspaper

Back
Top Bottom