After processing question (not for the squeamish)

I just did 33 today I have bait for my traps now
smile.png
the leftovers one of my customers has some family coming in and wanted something for the grill
smile.png

Assuming you're pretty good at it
smile.png
- How long did that take?

(BTW - just moved from Manassas, VA. to NM last year - miss the green, not the fuss! )

Quote:
Hehe, I like sushi, do you need to keep me away from your fish tank? I used to feed my dogs raw and this was a common misconception. If the innards come on a plate (or a pile, whatever...) the dogs are not going to know they came out of a bird and go and help themselves. I would be careful of coccidia, but most of the other parasites would be species-specific. Just don't overdo it and your dogs will be fine.

Quote:
Hehe, I like sushi, do you need to keep me away from your fish tank? I used to feed my dogs raw and this was a common misconception. If the innards come on a plate (or a pile, whatever...) the dogs are not going to know they came out of a bird and go and help themselves. I would be careful of coccidia, but most of the other parasites would be species-specific. Just don't overdo it and your dogs will be fine.

I know you are trying to make the point because you did that with your dog... fine. To use the fish tank analogy is is like apples and oranges. You do like sushi. You are sentient. You would not stick your hand my tank. Got that. Now to your oranges...the pile of guts smell the same regardless of if they are in a pile or in the bird. Your dog knew better and most probably do, I was merely making a possibility statement. Common misconception? No, what works for some doesn't always work for others. You should not automatically rule out statement as an absolute, that you absolutely can not know what one dog will do or the next.

I know dogs that absolutely will not hurt anybody, bird, or anything else. I know know dogs that absolutely would kill any living thing that it could get its jaws on. Not every dog is the same.

Navasima, my apologies that this discussion went this direction on your thread, you have a very good question. You know your own dog's disposition and will have to weigh the possibilities for yourself.

No worries! Remember this pic?

102722_quail_house.jpg

There is nothing on Earth nor in Heaven that will ever convince her that these are not snacks. She's obedient enough that she wouldn't take one out of my hand and will back off when I tell her to Leave It, but that's it. She has killed many critters in her 10 years; with much appreciation from me on most occasions. Our cat is "hers", but I feel sad for any strays that even think about coming around. Raw meat is just that to her.
smile.png
The other two are 5 and 2.5 pound senior Chis - they don't even sniff the pens...though the little one did get into the yard while the chickens were ranging once...they ignored her and she went right into their pen to eat chicken food!
sickbyc.gif

The "taste for blood" question is still in hot debate as it has been for many years....and will probably be for years to come....

My DH and his frat bros did swallow the fish out of sorority's tank one night. One of those stories that starts with '...well, apparently...'. He's not a big Sushi fan! So it definitely does not work that way!
lau.gif

bfrancis - I'm sorry you took that as a person attack, as it was not meant to be one.

The sushi analagy was obviously not the best one to make my point, perhaps I should have said that after feeding guts you should not let the dog lick you if you have an open wound....

I used to feed my dogs raw meat, it was a personal decision and I did a lot of research into it. There were many people who objected, and one of the most common misconception non-raw feeders would have was 'it would give the dogs a taste for blood' and turn them predatory. Now - I fully agree with you that some dogs will chase and kill anything that moves (the majority of mine would), other dogs you'd have to put something in their mouth and step on their jaws to make them bite. Every dog IS different, you are absolutely correct. However, dogs are unable to make the connection between guts outside the bird and guts inside the bird - they smell nothing alike from the outside. Now, if the dog goes and kills a bird and realizes it is a tasty object, than that is a different story and not at all related to the pile of guts they were fed last week. This is not just my opinion or experience with my personal dog, this is the experiences and research of thousands of 'prey model' feeders.

As I said, you are absolutely correct in that any dog has the potential to kill and eat a bird, however, my point was they will not kill a bird because they enjoyed the scraps and want a second helping, they will do it for the chase and the meal at the end is an added bonus.

Again, I am sorry that you took that as a personal attack.

I would be carefull feeding "leftovers", my vet advised me to stop feeding raw pork edge fat to my dog as it could cause serious pancriatic problems. My vet explained it to me that most domestic dogs don't do well with parts of a raw diet after being adjusted, over generations, to processed dog food and can have tollerance issues. I like Aprophet's idea using it to catch the nasty critters that will raid your pens.

Ehh...It is always a big controversy on feeding raw meat just like keeping chickens with quail. I am a proud raw feeder and finding a vet that supports it is very hit or miss. Mostly because vets are not required to have any schooling on the subject. What they know is what they have heard or personally researched. As long as you have healthy birds you should be just fine. Just skin them first if you are worried about "crazy taste of blood eyes".

Back
Top Bottom