After processing question (not for the squeamish)

our outside cats LOVE to "help" me process quail.. good thing I keep my quail in the house!.. anything that remotely smells of quail sends them into a meowing, clawing school of piranhas or sharks... in all the years I have had cats I have NEVER seen any go into such a frenzy.. even the newspapers from under the cages or old food dumped from a feeder sets them off...

at least my dogs don't act that way.. when i was transferring quail to another cage one escaped (I didn't have the door latched).. the quail was bopping along under the dogs like it was the normal thing to do.. the dogs were cautiously picking up their feet trying to make sure they didn't step on her

Quote:
<2 minute /bird the first coupla ones are a little slow the last one I check and make sure I still have my fingers
smile.png

raw diets for dogs are best done from the time the pups are born I know of a coupla hunt clubs all their dogs eat is beaver meat healthy buncha dogs
smile.png

From what I've heard greyhounds do well on a mix of raw and kibble. I knew a racing kennel that fed raw horse meat and purina and a freind of mine fed his coyote dogs (greyhounds and greyhound mixes) purina and a raw mix.

Quote:
I had a greyhound he loved salad and there wasn't a squirl one that ever made it out the yard. Didn't much care for dog feed tho. (All are diff.)

My idea is that some dogs are problem solvers. If they wanted too, they could put two and two together. If they knew were the guts come from. I think it is basically just a personal opinion, and there are numerous ways you could go about it.

Quote:
feeding raw does not automatically make a dog want to go hunt his own dinner... my dogs co habit with the chickens on a daily basis, and eat chicken at least one meal a day. they do not associate feathers with dinner, and I make sure that all meat i feed is feather/fur free.

but my dogs are also trained to leave the birds alone. i know dogs who would eat poultry in a heartbeat just because it moves. that has nothing to do with raw feeding. it has to do with training (or lack of) and how high their prey drive is. my jr dog (going on 2 next feb) has a VERY high prey drive. but he's also been trained that the birds are "pack" not "prey" and he treats them accordingly. to satisfy his prey drive i encourage squirrel (squeek!) hunting. 8) he'll dig out a chipmunk burrow in a heartbeat, or catch one before it can go to tree. but the birds he can just walk (sometimes run) thru the flock and not touch one of them. my older dog has very little prey drive but will 'help' when it comes to "squeaks"

and for feeding the bits & pieces, I let them pick thru the chicken parts and they take what they like and leave the rest. looking into getting quail myself now.

Quote:
actually, commercially prepared processed dog food didn't originate until the 40's and 50's. before that dogs ate whatever was available... and digestive processes don't evolve over that short a time period. a dogs digestive system isn't all that different from a wild wolf's. but if you watch wolves, they don't eat just the fat rind, they eat everything. gut, meat, bone, and some herbivorous stomach contents too quite often...

so i agree with your vet about feeding just the pork fat, too much fat can cause pancreatic problems, but feeding a well rounded raw diet wouldn't cause issues in itself, if properly researched and carried out... 'whole prey model' isn't just feeding "whole prey" but geared around including all the components of a 'prey meal', including bone, meat, organ meats, and 'extras' whether that be feather/fur or stomach contents (all of which are primarily fiber sources).

my only question about feeding quail 'parts' to dogs, was would you give it whole or 'disassemble' it first and feed pieces/parts. but i guess also that would depend on the size of the quail and size of the dog... i have standard poodles so it isn't a matter of how many meals will 1 bird make, but probably more like how many birds will make a meal? i don't really know how large quail get to be. LOL

Back
Top Bottom