After setting for about a week one egg broken one missing?

Hi,

we don't have a candler so we tried to use the flashlight and toilet paper roll trick, but she won't go off at night and since she only goes off for a very short time we don't want to carry the eggs too far (where it's dark) and when we tried to hold it in a dark corner in the barn we could not see anything ... as in the light was not bright enough or the shell was too thick... she has been setting for about 28 days.

Any other tricks on how to candle an egg without a candler?

Thank you very much for your reply!
I have to also have a dark room to candle, but if she has been sitting for 28 days then in the next couple of days you should know one way or the other, Did she come out today as normal? when hatching starts she will most likely sit tight, so watch for the signs. And if she does come off the nest check the eggs, look for external pips and also listen because you might be able to hear the peeps of the gosling.
fl.gif

she did come off the nest today, but she seemed in a hurry,. we will keep checking.

Next time she goes off I'll put my ear on the eggs... now this might sound ignorant but exactly do I look for in an external pip?

thank you!!

she did come off the nest today, but she seemed in a hurry,. we will keep checking.

Next time she goes off I'll put my ear on the eggs... now this might sound ignorant but exactly do I look for in an external pip?

thank you!!
You'll see and feel a bit of shell raised up that's where the gosling is breaking the shell. It is the neatest thing to be able to hear the babies pepping away inside. I hope you see something today. How old are your geese?

oh wow, I bet that's awesome. I hope I'll get a chance to see that.

We bought them when they were already full grown, the seller said they are 2-3 years old.

she did leave the nest today but i was not home ... I will check on her tomorrow.

Now IF the eggs won't hatch, will she just leave the nest, or will I have to take the eggs away?

oh, she did not leave it for good... I may have phrased that wrong.

My better half told me that she went off the nest for a short period of time, but he did not check on the eggs when she did.

oh, she did not leave it for good... I may have phrased that wrong.

My better half told me that she went off the nest for a short period of time, but he did not check on the eggs when she did.
Your going on day 30 right? I'd give her 3 more days and if nothing has happened then you'll most likely have to take the eggs before they explode. but always candle first unless you smell something really nasty then toss as fast as possible.

okay, so today one more egg was broken and she did leave the nest again, so we took the last egg out and cleaned everything out really good.

We did not hear any noise coming from the egg, so we took it away. We did crack it open just to be on the safe side and we should not have.... gross! the egg was rotten! It actually made a popping sound and there was just a slimy brown nastyness inside... We're just glad we took it!

Lois did clean herself very good but now is back to sitting in her house....

I'm sad for her. Maybe next year.

okay, so today one more egg was broken and she did leave the nest again, so we took the last egg out and cleaned everything out really good.

We did not hear any noise coming from the egg, so we took it away. We did crack it open just to be on the safe side and we should not have.... gross! the egg was rotten! It actually made a popping sound and there was just a slimy brown nastyness inside... We're just glad we took it!

Lois did clean herself very good but now is back to sitting in her house....

I'm sad for her. Maybe next year.
I'm sorry, and sorry for Lois, they want so much to be mamas, but she'll get over it and like you said there is next year. So glad you got that egg out in time. that sure would have been a mess to clean up inside her house.

Back
Top Bottom