After the hatching......

Everlong

Chirping
May 17, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
ok, so I'm on day 16. What now? stop turning, bump up humidity, remove shelving, put a towel.

After they start hatching, remove them and move to brooder where a 60w bulb will be. How do I show them how to eat/drink?

ok, so I'm on day 16. What now? stop turning, bump up humidity, remove shelving, put a towel.

After they start hatching, remove them and move to brooder where a 60w bulb will be. How do I show them how to eat/drink?

I just wiggle my finger in the water. They become interested and will eventually dip their beak in the water and drink. Same with the food, but I always do water first
smile.png
Good luck with your hatch!!!

They won't need to eat or drink immediately depending on how long you leave them in the incubator to dry. They will still be absorbing the nutrients from the yolk. So don't freak out if they don't want to drink.

Make sure you give them a shallow water dish with small stones or marbles in it for the first few days. They can drown in deeper dishes. Shiny marbles will also help attract them to the water.

I put their crumbles in the food processor and pulse till it's like fine sand. It is easier for the little ones to eat and they waste less because they aren't picking through it the find the smaller bits.

Good luck! It's so fun to watch them hatch and start moving around.

Back
Top Bottom