After the slaughter and before it's cooked ...

DMOTS

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2020
Sanger, California
Is your plan to break them down or leave them whole? Five days is a very long time. Mine generally loosen up within 24-48 hours, but my turkeys can go 4-5 days. If you're planning on breaking them down, I'd try one and see how it goes. How old were your birds at processing?
I plan on cutting up 4 of them and them some whole. I did not add any salt to the ice and water mix when I butchered them. They were 6 months old. Maybe I waited too long.

rjohns39

Wrangler
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Aug 20, 2015
Smith County, TN
I plan on cutting up 4 of them and them some whole. I did not add any salt to the ice and water mix when I butchered them. They were 6 months old. Maybe I waited too long.
Then I'd try to break them down. There isn't a worry of the meat going bad. Worst case they might be tough. Cook the first one the way you planned or fried. If it turns out tough, then I'd cook the rest low and slow.

doccaroo

Chirping
Mar 31, 2018
Quinlan, TX
I got really tired Wednesday after we pieced out our chickens. I just put the backs and necks in ziplock bags and put back in the ice chestto clean up and freeze yesterday but I forgot. yesterday when I remembered them I put them in the fridge. They are still in fridge are they still good to clean off and put in freezer for broth later?

Molpet

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Sep 7, 2015
New Lenox township. Illinois USA
My Coop
I got really tired Wednesday after we pieced out our chickens. I just put the backs and necks in ziplock bags and put back in the ice chestto clean up and freeze yesterday but I forgot. yesterday when I remembered them I put them in the fridge. They are still in fridge are they still good to clean off and put in freezer for broth later?
Was there still ice? Basically if they were still cold they're ok. The cooking will kill the bacteria.

U_Stormcrow

Songster
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
I part mine as I butcher. I also save the carcass for broth, but cut that up too so I reduce freezer space. We each need to find out own way.
Like Ridgerunner, I do all my parting out as I butcher. Organs get their own bag, combined heart liver, gizzard - that goes straight to the freezer. Then either a thigh quarter in each bag, and a breast quarter in each bag, or thighs in a bag, legs in a bag, breasts in a bag. Either way, the carcass (I snap mine in half, and shove the bottom half into the cavity of the front half, plus neck, wing tips - whole wing if I went boneless skinless on the breasts - and any excess skin) is saved for soup/stock in a larger bag straight to the freezer. All the rest go to the fridge to rest for two das before getting transferred to the freezer. Well, usually less than 2, but a lot longer than 1, since its usually late in the day when I finish butchering, and early in the AM when I rearrange the fridge.

ariri30

Crowing
May 18, 2015
Fair lawn nj
Like Ridgerunner, I do all my parting out as I butcher. Organs get their own bag, combined heart liver, gizzard - that goes straight to the freezer. Then either a thigh quarter in each bag, and a breast quarter in each bag, or thighs in a bag, legs in a bag, breasts in a bag. Either way, the carcass (I snap mine in half, and shove the bottom half into the cavity of the front half, plus neck, wing tips - whole wing if I went boneless skinless on the breasts - and any excess skin) is saved for soup/stock in a larger bag straight to the freezer. All the rest go to the fridge to rest for two das before getting transferred to the freezer. Well, usually less than 2, but a lot longer than 1, since its usually late in the day when I finish butchering, and early in the AM when I rearrange the fridge.
Awesome 👏🏾 thanks

Top Bottom