After the storm

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wsmoak, Jun 19, 2011.

1. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Everybody hung out in the horse shelter during the worst of the storm and then went wandering around while it was still raining afterwards. Slightly damp...

[​IMG]
    110617_5430 by wsmoak, on Flickr

-Wendy

2. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohhh. I LOVE Buff Orpingtons. They are all so beautiful! I'm glad they fared well through the storm.[​IMG] Is your Roo kind to his girls?

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, I love Orpingtons too. I have one and wanted a mix flock. But in hindsight, I wish I had just bought all BO's.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Takes more than little rain to rattle some chickens!

5. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:He is a *very* good rooster. A couple of weeks ago I heard the alarm call and went out to find him facing down a coyote!! He also lets me know if the resident hawks are around, and herds the girls back into their run before taking up a post in the corner closest to the hawk and yelling at it.

When I give them treats, he calls the hens over and repeatedly picks up and drops the food to show it to them, or else holds it in his beak for them to take. He doesn't eat his share until the ladies have all gotten theirs.

(There is one more hen, a barred rock, but she's sitting on eggs at the moment.)

-Wendy

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Pretty flock! Sure wish you'd send some of that rain east to southern SC! [​IMG]

7. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    Thats so great that your rooster does all those nice things to his hens. I hope all the anti-rooster owners read it.

8. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:He is a *very* good rooster. A couple of weeks ago I heard the alarm call and went out to find him facing down a coyote!! He also lets me know if the resident hawks are around, and herds the girls back into their run before taking up a post in the corner closest to the hawk and yelling at it.

When I give them treats, he calls the hens over and repeatedly picks up and drops the food to show it to them, or else holds it in his beak for them to take. He doesn't eat his share until the ladies have all gotten theirs.

(There is one more hen, a barred rock, but she's sitting on eggs at the moment.)

-Wendy

Awwwwwwww!! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by