Again? (Canker)

Cindyloo

Chirping
Aug 7, 2017
So, My silkie rooster, Timmy, the one who had canker before seems to have it again. Thankfully it doesn't look as bad. I'll have to get pictures tomorrow as its getting dark out. He just got over this whole thing at least 2 weeks ago. I let him back with the flock after his treatment was done, I even added like 5 days after his treatment was done just to be positive he was over it. I've checked him daily, just because I'm very nervous with loosing my birds. Today, I checked him and now there is small, yellow, dots going down the side of his mouth. I made sure it wasn't food by getting him to swallow some water. I;m so confused. The other rooster that had this is perfectly fine. All my other hens are fine too. But he's just taking hit after hit. I'm not sure if he can get canker twice. If not, then I have no idea what it is now. If it is the same thing, could he be eating something my other chickens aren't? And will I be able to use the Fish Zole I used last time?

i am wondering if perhaps this rooster wasn't completely over his canker and it just resurfaced again.

If you can call around and find copper sulfate, that's one way to treat canker. You offer it as the only water source for four days. You can treat the whole flock this way in case they may have relapses, too. Did you use the Fishzole for a full five days at the dosage recommended below?

I
i am wondering if perhaps this rooster wasn't completely over his canker and it just resurfaced again.

If you can call around and find copper sulfate, that's one way to treat canker. You offer it as the only water source for four days. You can treat the whole flock this way in case they may have relapses, too. Did you use the Fishzole for a full five days at the dosage recommended below?
I was told 5-7 days, so for him I did 7 full days, with the 250mg
I'm afraid to do the copper sulfate because if I mess up, its deadly, y'know?

Copper sulfate is only deadly if the chickens are exposed to the crystals. Dissolved in water, it's perfectly safe. It's used all the time to treat our drinking water reservoirs and fishing lakes, and even small fish ponds as it kills dangerous algae.

I've even had a job where they sent me out on a big lake in a boat to copper sulfate the lake to treat an algae bloom, so I understand the stuff pretty well. I ordered mine from a feed store. One small bag will last you forever, and it's a super easy and efficient and inexpensive way to treat many chicken disorders.

Copper sulfate is only deadly if the chickens are exposed to the crystals. Dissolved in water, it's perfectly safe. It's used all the time to treat our drinking water reservoirs and fishing lakes, and even small fish ponds as it kills dangerous algae.

I've even had a job where they sent me out on a big lake in a boat to copper sulfate the lake to treat an algae bloom, so I understand the stuff pretty well. I ordered mine from a feed store. One small bag will last you forever, and it's a super easy and efficient and inexpensive way to treat many chicken disorders.
Alright, so as long as there's no crystals left, its okay?

Back
Top Bottom