Against the odds hatching thread (with pictures and questions)

Pics
how did they turn out. I am on second batch of orpington from papa's I do love his eggs and birds. my Barnivelders are from my pet chicken and Myers not as double aced as hoped for but not third molt yet. can you post the papas pictures. I got one lavender with Carmel lacing I love but afraid it is a cocrael. so sad as just beautiful. thanks for such a well documented hatch.how was your hatch rate? hope all went well. I am just ending my second hatch. such fun. congratulations.Your Barnies are older than my sept 14 hatch date so I would very much like seeing them in a photo if you have time.
They turned out great! I’m very happy with my experience so far. I’ve been updating the thread with their growth and milestones, but it’s a lot to read and catch up on. My overall hatch rate was 50%, which is what’s expected of shipped eggs. Mine flew coast to coast, so I consider the hatch a success. Interestingly, the hatch rate varied considerably between the different kinds of eggs. For example, only 1 out of 6 Red Partridge Orpington eggs hatched, but every single one of the 4 Lemon Cuckoo Orpington eggs hatched (even though they all came from Papa’s). The lone Red Partridge turned out male and I couldn’t keep him, so now I have none. I’ll be getting more in the spring, hoping to get a couple females to keep. I really love the pattern.

The hatch was evenly split males vs. females, including within breeds and colors, so I’m happy. I ended up with 5 females total (3 Orps from Papa’s and 2 Barnevelders from the other breeder). They all get along great and are very sweet and mellow. I butchered the males, they were delicious. The Orps are round and fluffy and huge, and the Barnevelders both have beautiful double lacing. I’m very happy with them all!

Here are some pictures:

5DB522D8-5D66-4BCA-9B19-3219DC7C8A53.jpeg
A7B3AD14-E461-4F95-8B17-EE1213AA525F.jpeg
12DB8B59-450F-4F4C-ACD6-DB0D6281DF20.jpeg
368B55D5-912D-415E-B613-28515FC52B39.jpeg
F4B29557-E727-4CE1-AFCD-75A63FE6A2ED.jpeg
11627E7B-1A93-4FBA-9AA5-F79DD4FAF175.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom