Age old question... how much ventilation?

KMedley

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
Verona, NY
My husband is modifying a handmade coop I bought and I love the results so far! I live in Upstate NY so cold winter weather is approaching. He is completely redoing the roof and I’m attaching a pic of the ventilation areas - there will also be a little ventilation area under the eaves once the roof top is put on. While I understand that high up ventilation is good and helpful to keeping a dry coop, I can’t help but wonder if this is too much and should be partially covered during the winter months? Coop professionals: please tell me your thoughts!! Thank you for your help ☺️☺️

Attachments

• EC851A27-8446-4E40-8931-BC0997B2646A.jpeg
    EC851A27-8446-4E40-8931-BC0997B2646A.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 79CE1DBD-9126-46EE-9A8A-AD3E5872C901.jpeg
    79CE1DBD-9126-46EE-9A8A-AD3E5872C901.jpeg
    778.5 KB · Views: 21
The more ventilation the healthier for the chickens as long as there will be no draft.

I would aim for a wide roof overhang on all four sides to prevent rain or snow getting blown into the coop.

Very nice coop, please keep us updated on the progress and show your chickens too.

I would build a type of wall that could be placed on the gable ends for winter. In doing so, drill about 6-7 holes 1" diameter near the top on both wall inserts to allow air to vent in winter. Also leave a roof venting style with the steel roof. The chickens will keep warm and have fresh air to boot. I like the 2x4 flat/wide side up for the roost. Then they can sit down and cover their feet to keep warm. My $.02. Nice looking coop.

Here is our coop during build. It is protected from the worst of the winter winds bc it is behind the barn. We now have 20 feet of roof on the end you see (faces North) and 6 feet of roof on the south side. The open HWC ends you see above the door remain open nearly all year. We do have wood covers for them, but generally only use the north side one during the coldest part of winter. The roosts are ladder style, and the top roost is about 12-18" below the south side HWC opening.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.36.09 AM.png

For your coop, you need to extend the roof a few feet over the people access and/or cleanup areas. You will be happy you did this when it is freezing and snowy or wet (ice) and you can still open up your door (no ice!). Since you have the upper areas in HWC, you will also be wise to have an overhang over those to prevent snow and rain from blowing in easily. And, making a cover you can add when weather is especially blowing and cold (like a nor'easter) is helpful to use, but you won't need it for as long as you think, especially if you have extended the roof a bit to help protect those upper openings.

Cute coop!

Such great comments and suggestions!! Thank you all so much. The plan is to definitely have overhang over the front and back to keep elements out more and to protect me as I clean / collect eggs. And also once the roof is on there will still be ventilation under the eaves. After reading your comments and talking to a friend I am going to have removable covers for the HWC areas that cover 75-85% for wind chill/bad weather days. I can’t wait to show it off when it’s all finished!

Such great comments and suggestions!! Thank you all so much. The plan is to definitely have overhang over the front and back to keep elements out more and to protect me as I clean / collect eggs. And also once the roof is on there will still be ventilation under the eaves. After reading your comments and talking to a friend I am going to have removable covers for the HWC areas that cover 75-85% for wind chill/bad weather days. I can’t wait to show it off when it’s all finished!

He is completely redoing the roof and I’m attaching a pic of the ventilation areas - there will also be a little ventilation area under the eaves once the roof top is put on.
Best place for cold climate winter ventilation is open eaves.
Covered in HC and can block with furnace filter to slow but not stop air flow.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434/
1600720069842.png

I would aim for a wide roof overhang on all four sides to prevent rain or snow getting blown into the coop.
Ditto Dat!
Yes, add fly rafters on both gable end to protect gable vents and doorway.

I believe the rule is 1 SQ foot of ventilation per bird. Cute coop!

That's a minimum recommendation - if you can provide more, it's often beneficial. I have about 3x that with the option of closing some of it up if weather takes a big downturn, but I've found it to be unnecessary in most winter weather as we have more moderate winters.

Back
Top Bottom