Age old question on foot color/breed...

Foot color

• Total voters
We have had both Australorp and BJG cockerels/roosters. Australorp can get big, particularly in comparison to Australorp females.
I know, just not BJG big, especially as he is hatchery quality. He does tower over both the BJG and ISA Brown pullets though, even towers over our Faverolle roo who can get pretty hefty.

Resized_IMG_5487_5799761381327.jpeg
So this was Ruger's foot at 3 months old, looks rather yellow, right?

I think the yellowish is dirt. He has pink feet, making him an austrolorp.

I think the problem is that hatcheries probably interbreed their BJG and Black Aussies. To the average person, they're probably interchangeable.
if you want a true BJG, I'd find a breeder.
That's the plan, but finding any breeder seems a tough venture. I found one so far in Indiana, and hoping to find more at the Northeast Poultry Congress coming up, but it's not easy. After all this, I went looking and found what I was hoping was another BJG roo, the person was even going to start breeding with him because they never ventured into Giants before, turned out he was an Australorp. Does indeed seem to be a very common issue :( :he.

That's the plan, but finding any breeder seems a tough venture. I found one so far in Indiana, and hoping to find more at the Northeast Poultry Congress coming up, but it's not easy. After all this, I went looking and found what I was hoping was another BJG roo, the person was even going to start breeding with him because they never ventured into Giants before, turned out he was an Australorp. Does indeed seem to be a very common issue :( :he.

I think I read about a BJG breeder in Jersey... I can't remember where.

yea, I saw the Congress is coming up. I still haven't made it to that yet.

I think I read about a BJG breeder in Jersey... I can't remember where.

yea, I saw the Congress is coming up. I still haven't made it to that yet.
I have never been to it, but being the largest East Coast show I am hopeful to meet at least one relatively close breeder. If you find yourself remembering the NJ breeder please let me know, any lead is worth a followup.

Back
Top Bottom