Age to process Chanteclers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by happyhensny, Aug 31, 2011.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Sep 23, 2008
    near Albany, New York
    I have some Chanties that are now 15 weeks old. Has anyone processed them before? Recommended age? Taste & texture? If they aren't a good meat bird I will unload them at the auction.

Thanks!

2. WishboneDawn

WishboneDawn In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Being a Canuck, I want me some of those! From everything I've read they're an excellent cold-weather, dual-purpose bird. Good for meat or eggs. Not sure what age I'd process them by but I think it might be the scale that would help me make that decision. [​IMG]

3. happyhensny

Sep 23, 2008
    near Albany, New York
    As of today they are still peeping and not all that big. I am thinking probably another few weeks at least.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Around 20 weeks should be good.
    Mitch

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  5. eggbuster

eggbuster Songster

Apr 1, 2010
    I have Chanteclers ( I too am a Canuck). It would depend upon the strain you have. I have had some that would make a pigeon look fat and not worth processing at any age. I have another line that is does well at about 16-20 weeks and dress out at 4-6 lbs. I feed clabbered milk and that makes a big difference as well. I am crossing them with Cx this year and the results are very pleasing. Going to do it with another batch of Cx next year to get 2 lines going for a meat flock. The best ones of these crosses are reaching butchering size around 12-15 weeks. Not going to butcher the good ones tho' and will keep them for breeding. They look like they will ave. about 6 lbs dressed.

6. WishboneDawn

WishboneDawn In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote:Keep us updated!

7. happyhensny

Sep 23, 2008
    near Albany, New York
    Quote:That'll be fine-1st week of October. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: