Age to remove roosters

skrasienko

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Lorain County Ohio
Hi I'm new to this and kinda bought 30 chickens at a local hardware store on a whim. only regret was that I wasn't sure what i was buying so after i got home with the golden comets and asst. bantams i did a lil research and i have 12 comet roosters and 6 Bantam roosters what age should i wait to put some of the roosters on the grill and is it worth the time and effert to butcher the bantams? they are about10 weeks old now

People eat quail, you can certainly eat bantams. Keep them confined & give them some corn to get them plump. You may want to split them to clean them out, it can be hard to fit a hand up inside them.

I like to let my roos get nice & meaty, 16-20 weeks, but I know some folks do them earlier. Enjoy your meals!

I'M On Island Time :

I heard this, and thought it was good advice:

Old enough to crow, old enough to go.

Not sure I agree with this (unless you aren't that hungry
gig.gif
). We have 11 weeks olds that have been crowing for weeks. They are way to skinny for eating...we plan on butchering between 16-20 weeks old (when they are mature and filled out). I don't see why you can't eat a bantam....it's just smaller.​

just pick one up and feel the drumsticks, thighs and breast. If it feels the shape you would like to see in the crock pot, or in the oven or frying pan, go for it. If the breast feels like a sharper V shape and less like a U shape, wait a bit and boost them with feed for finishing meat birds, not laying hen feed.

We butchered our roosters at about 16 weeks and not lot meat on but what there was was tasty when made into sounthern fried chicken..whereas couple more butchered at about 22 weeks and was tough southern friend chicken..so those rest that did at 22 weeks will be making chicken and dumplings instead..so for more tender below between 15 and 20 weeks I would say..

The best butchering age really depends on the breeds. I have butchered Wyandottes and 20 weeks. This gives them time for their breasts to fill out. They were tender and fine eating. I later did the same with a leghorn someone gave me (an Easter chicken that wasn't cute anymore), and it was tough , really tough.

As someone pointed out 2, young and youll just be eating bones, no meat.

Another example would be New Jersey Giants. They dont get to eating size really until about 8 months, however they were breed to be roasters (take the place of small turkeys) and never intended for frying.

Back
Top Bottom