Picking a rooster

Jingles000

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
Hi,

We got a heap of chicks from a hatching program from my kids daycare then some more from the local poultry shop. From the hatching program, weirdly only 1 of 9 is a cockerel and the others are pullets. I will be getting rid of this cockerel as he is getting aggressive and has drawn blood pecking me (grabbed my skin puncturing both sides) and is now starting to have a go when I go to pick up another chicken (all are 4-5 months old).

From the local chicken shop, there are 3 cockerels. They were supposed to be purebred but I have been told they are not so there is a pecan bantam (crossed with a silkie by the look of him). He has an annoying high pitched crow, but my daughter loves him. So far, he hasn’t been aggressive and I am able to pick him up without him trying anything. My daughter had been picking him up and patting him also but the kids have been banned from the chicken pen until I remove the aggressive cockerel. The other 2 cockerels are a Brahma x (very timid, almost lies down when you go to pick him up and just stays still once you have him. He is also fairly unstable on his feet so unsure if he has a problem) and a golden laced Wyandotte (more spirited, tries to get away from you if you pick him up but no aggression yet). Both have not started crowing and are relatively placid at this point.

So, what traits do you look for when deciding on a cockerel to keep and do you keep one at all when you have young children (my kids are 3, 4, 6 and 8)?

I would love any advice. I have had chickens as a child but have no experience with roosters and don’t want something that could be dangerous for one of the kids. I am not enjoying the current aggressive cockerel we have at all which has been a little off putting.

Thanks 😊

I think every flock needs a rooster for many reasons. 1. They keep the peace in the flock . 2. They protect your hens with their life. 3. They make your job easier. Roosters react when they are scared, hence your current rooster. I feel really bad for them because they are expected - by us, and by the hens to hunt for food, mate and be the security guard 24/7. This expectation makes roosters inevitably a little wired. Also, the best they can do to be able to do all of this is to have control over everything and keep everything and everyone away from those they need to protect - the hens. With that said, I really don't think there are any bad roosters. I just think that some need to develop in maturity and be able to trust.

As far as safety around your children, because roosters are capable of harm, there really are none you should trust completely. At the same time, I will say this about any animal, including dogs. Any animal capable of causing harm, may do so if the right trigger is set. I know someone who was a neighbor who had a child that was mauled by a dog that was a golden retriever. The child only required some stitches and cosmetic surgery - as opposed to death or other serious medical issues, but still, animals are animals. If the hens were capable (meaning, had the body parts) to cause harm, I would say the same thing.

So, we do the best we can, and at the end of the day, I still think every flock should have a rooster. For the reasons I stated above and because everyone is more happy. It is our job to find out what fear(s) our roosters have and work with them to not "trigger" these fears. I will include a link that was published by a person who runs a rooster sanctuary. The technique used to "tame" roosters is one of love and of taking yourself out of the game of being either dominant or submissive with the rooster. It is about how to just be his friend. If you can accomplish this with any rooster, you will have a friend for life. Roosters have much more depth and breath than hens, and are devoted more like a dog. I will also tag @janiedoe, who is successful with roosters in her flocks.

https://www.thefeatherbrain.com/blog/taming-aggressive-roosters

From the hatching program ..... I will be getting rid of this cockerel as he is getting aggressive and has drawn blood.
And good riddance!
pecan bantam ..... annoying high pitched crow, but my daughter loves him. So far, he hasn’t been aggressive and I am able to pick him up.
You'll get used to the screeching crow and might find it entertaining someday. A bantam would be less dangerous if he attacks.
Brahma x (very timid, almost lies down when you go to pick him up and just stays still once you have him. He is also fairly unstable on his feet so unsure if he has a problem)
Doesn't sound like he'd be a great flock protector. Too timid.
golden laced Wyandotte (more spirited, tries to get away from you if you pick him up but no aggression yet).
Might be a good choice, maybe not. Only his maturity will tell.
So, what traits do you look for when deciding on a cockerel to keep and do you keep one at all when you have young children (my kids are 3, 4, 6 and 8)?
With young kids, I wouldn't keep a rooster AT ALL.

If you just need one for breeding - then I'd pick the Wyandotte and see if he turns out to be a "good" rooster. But then you couldn't ever let the small kids around him, for safety.

If you just want a rooster for a flock protector, predator alarm, and for entertainment value, I'd keep the bantam. But watch him, and still don't let the little kids around him. Even little, they can be vicious little attackers.

I look for a rooster who's NOT AGGRESSIVE to humans or hens/pullets, eager to spend time with the hens and show them where to find treats, alert and responsive to predator threats, and quick to break up disputes between hens. Also when the hens are free-ranging, I want a rooster who'll herd the girls back towards the coop at roosting time and make sure they're all home safe.

Besides that, my tie-breakers are attractiveness, genetic features I want to carry on in the flock, and general health and size.

I will include a link that was published by a person who runs a rooster sanctuary. The technique used to "tame" roosters is one of love and of taking yourself out of the game of being either dominant or submissive with the rooster. It is about how to just be his friend. If you can accomplish this with any rooster, you will have a friend for life.

thank you for this link. :highfive:

I think I'm going to try it with my suddenly-turned-dickhead Bresse cockerel, George. Although I think the "love" she mentions is more about the human mindset when working with an aggressive rooster, and less about HIS mindset. I think her approach is all about teaching your rooster he can trust you and that you are not a threat.

I can see, though, that it would work only with the primary caretaker, and I would NOT trust this rooster to behave with anyone else.

With that in mind, I suited up and gloved up tonight just to put him and his pullets to bed. (Step #1.) I'm not taking any chances after this morning's attack. I expect in the morning to be thoroughly flogged, and the training begins with Step #2.
We. Shall. See.

thank you for this link. :highfive:

I think I'm going to try it with my suddenly-turned-dickhead Bresse cockerel, George. Although I think the "love" she mentions is more about the human mindset when working with an aggressive rooster, and less about HIS mindset. I think her approach is all about teaching your rooster he can trust you and that you are not a threat.

I can see, though, that it would work only with the primary caretaker, and I would NOT trust this rooster to behave with anyone else.

With that in mind, I suited up and gloved up tonight just to put him and his pullets to bed. (Step #1.) I'm not taking any chances after this morning's attack. I expect in the morning to be thoroughly flogged, and the training begins with Step #2.
We. Shall. See.
You are funny. I enjoy reading your post. Roosters are continually fighting about dominance vs. submission. It is just in their DNA. The approached used is basically "I will not submit to you, nor do I want to dominate you, so take me out of the game"

With the ages of your kids, I vote no roosters.

On the three- I would want the last one that doesn’t want anything to do with you. Don’t ever take something you feel sorry for. Anything that allows you to pet, often turns out mean, they are not like puppies or kittens.

But cockerel’s tend to attack kids first, I would wait a couple years for a rooster. Little kids take the attack at the head and face. The smallest child will be their first target.

Enjoy your pullets this year, and it would be good to move all those cockerels on for now. Next year, with more experience, and slightly older children, maybe raise a few cockerels, or adopt a nice adult rooster who's already okay with children. not a sure thing, and still maybe better. And IMO cockerels are best if they avoid humans, spend time with their flockmates, and aren't handled that much, ESPECIALLY by small persons, where their faces are too close together. NO bird gets near my eyeballs!!!
Mary

With children as young as yours I would not keep any cockerel at all unless they were locked away securely in an overall well enclosed run.

And even then I would choose one that has been raised in a multigenerational flock and in a place with lots of humam action so he would not be triggered into attack mode by running or screeching children.

I think every flock needs a rooster for many reasons. 1. They keep the peace in the flock . 2. They protect your hens with their life. 3. They make your job easier. Roosters react when they are scared, hence your current rooster. I feel really bad for them because they are expected - by us, and by the hens to hunt for food, mate and be the security guard 24/7. This expectation makes roosters inevitably a little wired. Also, the best they can do to be able to do all of this is to have control over everything and keep everything and everyone away from those they need to protect - the hens. With that said, I really don't think there are any bad roosters. I just think that some need to develop in maturity and be able to trust.

As far as safety around your children, because roosters are capable of harm, there really are none you should trust completely. At the same time, I will say this about any animal, including dogs. Any animal capable of causing harm, may do so if the right trigger is set. I know someone who was a neighbor who had a child that was mauled by a dog that was a golden retriever. The child only required some stitches and cosmetic surgery - as opposed to death or other serious medical issues, but still, animals are animals. If the hens were capable (meaning, had the body parts) to cause harm, I would say the same thing.

So, we do the best we can, and at the end of the day, I still think every flock should have a rooster. For the reasons I stated above and because everyone is more happy. It is our job to find out what fear(s) our roosters have and work with them to not "trigger" these fears. I will include a link that was published by a person who runs a rooster sanctuary. The technique used to "tame" roosters is one of love and of taking yourself out of the game of being either dominant or submissive with the rooster. It is about how to just be his friend. If you can accomplish this with any rooster, you will have a friend for life. Roosters have much more depth and breath than hens, and are devoted more like a dog. I will also tag @janiedoe, who is successful with roosters in her flocks.

Oh thankyou for these links! I too am a first time rooster owner (unplanned) and need tons of advice!

Back
Top Bottom