Age when Turkey's no longer need heat lamp?

aclee

Songster
9 Years
Feb 16, 2010
Amesbury, MA
I bought 2-3 week old poults today. Do they still need a heat lamp? It's around 50-60 during the day, and maybe a little lower at night.

Thanks!
Amy

Not trying to steal your thread
hide.gif
but I was just about to ask this same question. I have bronze poults that will soon be 4 weeks old and was wondering how much longer they needed a light.
They are so big it won't be long their heads will touch the top of the brooder cage they are in LOL

Rule I follow is 95 degrees right after hatch, and then lower brooder temp by 5 degrees each week. Usually mine are brooder free around six weeks, depending on how low night temps get.

I keep a heat lamp on all poults until it stays above 60 degrees at night!! take that lamp off to early one night all gone, no do=overs! about 16 weeks for me! turkey like it hot!!! tom!! 8,700 poults later.

Last edited:
at least 8 weeks here, lowered by 5 degrees per week as mentioned. If it's still below 60 at night after that, I would still keep heat on them cold poults are dead poults. Just make your brooder big enough so they can move to an area of it that is of a comfortable temp to them and you're good to go, would never take them off heat as young as yours are though

Agree with Boggy Bottom Bantoms. Cold and or wet poults usually become dead poults when under 2 months of age. Nothing wrong with providing a heat lamp or similar until they no longer strongly gravitate towards it at night, even well after 2 months.

Great thanks! They brooder is a huge shipping crate (I has 12 4 week old cornish in there till right before the poults got here, so that tells you how big it is!)

I have a 250 watt red lamp on them now...when it gets hot during the day, I turn it off, but otherwise I leave it on them 24/7.

They are doing really well. The female flew out of the top of the brooder (didn't think she could!) and she just sat by the side peeping and the two boys (one chick, one poult) inside were up all strutting around concerned about her...it was cute
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom