Aggressive 20 week old rooster

I dunno, my Dominique roo attacked me when I was younger. Turns out he didn’t do well confined in the small run and needed space to get his energy out. He did much better as a free range bird. Maybe salty boy needs some free space time??
He is mostly free range.

Today our rooster chased after my 6 and 4 year old. Can roosters really be tamed? Right now the dogs and chickens get along but if he's willing to go after the kids I'm assuming he'd go after the dogs too. Just trying to decide if we're going to keep him.

Edit: I obviously care more about the kiddos but they are never out there without my husband or myself, whereas the dogs are.

When I was about 13 years old a rooster attacked a 4 year old little girl tore her face to pieces. I was out side not to far away from her and so were several other adults. The rooster was so fast no one could stop the attack. 1 strike and IMHO a rooster is OUT. End of story.

He's attacking your kids. It isn't funny and he can easily jump at their face and do serious damage. Get rid of him. No need to keep him at all. There are plenty of nice roosters around. Cull him (kill) do not try to give him to someone else, especially someone that either has kids or could have kids/grandkids/neighbors kids coming to visit. He is a liability that needs to be removed permanently.

He's attacking your kids. It isn't funny and he can easily jump at their face and do serious damage. Get rid of him. No need to keep him at all. There are plenty of nice roosters around. Cull him (kill) do not try to give him to someone else, especially someone that either has kids or could have kids/grandkids/neighbors kids coming to visit. He is a liability that needs to be removed permanently.
That was my thinking. I just wasn't sure if roosters could be "trained".

Does this behavior come from not being socialized? I ask because, I had a bad rooster who used to attack my daughter. We didn't spend a lot of time with that flock and he was very dedicated to protecting his girls. The young boys we have now may just be too young to start this behavior, but they seem better, we've been very 'close' to them since they hatched. I did see slight 'aggression' in one (of the two) when the girls first started laying a couple of weeks ago, but not since. They are very used to us.

I just wasn't sure if roosters could be "trained".

Maybe, sort-of, sometimes. Depends on whose opinion you ask. Personally, I wouldn't bother trying.

If you really want a rooster, I would suggest either looking for one that's being rehomed (and ask WHY he's being rehomed!), or get several cockerel chicks and raise them with intent to keep one and eat the others. The one that attacks first gets eaten first ;)

Or you could have a flock with no rooster, which works just fine unless you want to hatch eggs. (Even then, you have the option of buying fertile eggs.)

Back
Top Bottom