Aggressive 7 week old chicks

Kalebsmomma

Chirping
Aug 27, 2020
Wisconsin
I have 10 hens and 5 roosters that are 7 weeks old Golden Comets. I've noticed the last 2 weeks I have 3 roosters and two hens that are very aggressive when we are trying to clean, feed, water, or hold them. To of the 3 rooster chicks have drawn blood! Is there anything I can do to curve that before they get to old?

I have had many Golden Comet hens and never had any issues. Currently have 16 adult hens that all like to be picked up and held. Even follow me everywhere when I'm outside.

I also have golden comets, and I have only one that is notably more aggressive than the others. She's my top hen. I've noticed that she's aggressive when I wear my boots. Funny I know, but I think she sees them as a threat. I would just pay attention to any things that might be setting your chicks on edge. Usually aggression is in response to a perceived threat. It could also be that they are working out their pecking order. They usually start around that age.

Yes, several feeders and waterers, and space, especially places to be out of sight. Do you need to hold them? Are the cockerels really being difficult, more than the pullets?
Pecking; peck right back, fast and hard enough to be uncomfortable. Peckpeckpeck, just like another chicken would discipline any rude junior. Don't hand feed, toss treats on the ground instead. Walk 'through' the birds, don't walk around anyone!
You will be moving some or all of these cockerels on, right? Five is way too many for this group! DO NOT keep the boldest!
One of my hens was a very pushy youngster, wanted her own way and pecked a lot. We had chats, lots of moving her away from my delicate self, and pecking back. This year she very rarely thinks bad thoughts, but is normally interactive and curious.
Mary

Yes, several feeders and waterers, and space, especially places to be out of sight. Do you need to hold them? Are the cockerels really being difficult, more than the pullets?
Pecking; peck right back, fast and hard enough to be uncomfortable. Peckpeckpeck, just like another chicken would discipline any rude junior. Don't hand feed, toss treats on the ground instead. Walk 'through' the birds, don't walk around anyone!
You will be moving some or all of these cockerels on, right? Five is way too many for this group! DO NOT keep the boldest!
One of my hens was a very pushy youngster, wanted her own way and pecked a lot. We had chats, lots of moving her away from my delicate self, and pecking back. This year she very rarely thinks bad thoughts, but is normally interactive and curious.
Mary
I also have golden comets and I was going to ask this same thing. I only have hens, 5 in total 9 weeks old. I don’t think I handled them enough as babies. They seem to have adequate space in their covered run, I rarely see them fight with each other. I want to be able to let my son feed them, but I don’t trust them yet. When I go in their run to give them treats or just say hello to them 3 in particular will peck me, my boots, legs and sometimes fingers. Never at once, it’s like they take turns. Bite a finger randomly. Get up on a food bucket or a perch so they are higher up and point their whole body at me, the body language feels aggressive.

So when I see them act this way I’ll give them a hard nudge to show them whos boss. But it doesn’t really seem to be working.

Our baby chick coup is big enough to hold at least 25 adult chickens. We have 2 large waterers and 3 feeders. I try to hold them as much as possible. Plus I have noticed the rooster chicks are chest bumping each other. We only plan to keep 2 roosters and eat the other 3.
It just bums me out because my other 16 adult hens are attached to my hip lol.

We this weekend we built them their very own run on their coop. I sat in the run and didn't disturb them. I just let them do their thing. Maybe get them to trust me slowly?

Back
Top Bottom