Aggressive Barred Rock Rooster

Aart: you process in your garage? I can't imagine that. But, it would eliminate the fly issue. How much of a mess does it make? My last processing job went faster, and clean up was also easier. As I continue, I am getting faster. If I had a way to heat water outside and keep it at the right temp, I'd be pretty fast. A sharp knife is critical also, and hubby and I finally have that issue solved also.
Yep, but I only do 3-4 birds at a time. Doesn't totally eliminate flies as garage doors are cracked open a bit, I set up fan to blow them away from gutting table. Not much mess, per se, as it is all contained in buckets and trays. I don't use running water during slaughter, just a couple of dunk buckets before icing in cooler, final rinse is done in kitchen before resting in fridge there. Buckets contents dumped in woods afterwards, then all cleaned in laundry sink. 2 car garage is under house, van is outside during summer so use one bay for projects, and close to water source. Cone bottom is set almost into bucket with a cardboard 'backsplash' and I hold head until dead to keep blood spatter contained. I get 140F water out of laundry sink close to water heater, propane burner keeps it at ~155F. Plucking done into 30 gal garbage can, feet held with spring clamps on board mounted above, feathers added to gut bucket before woods dump. Gutting done in large shallow tray(washing machine pan) set on table that has utility arm light clamped on and stool to sit on. Set up and clean up take 4x longer than the slaughtering, wish I could do more than 4 at a time but fridge, freezer and physical stamina capacity is limited. Wow, that got long. Sorry for hijack @byyounghusband.

I feel the same way! I have a question for everyone. I have a buffington rooster and his crown as I call it will turn black part way down then go back to all red. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have seen it a couple of times.

Yep, but I only do 3-4 birds at a time. Doesn't totally eliminate flies as garage doors are cracked open a bit, I set up fan to blow them away from gutting table. Not much mess, per se, as it is all contained in buckets and trays. I don't use running water during slaughter, just a couple of dunk buckets before icing in cooler, final rinse is done in kitchen before resting in fridge there. Buckets contents dumped in woods afterwards, then all cleaned in laundry sink. 2 car garage is under house, van is outside during summer so use one bay for projects, and close to water source. Cone bottom is set almost into bucket with a cardboard 'backsplash' and I hold head until dead to keep blood spatter contained. I get 140F water out of laundry sink close to water heater, propane burner keeps it at ~155F. Plucking done into 30 gal garbage can, feet held with spring clamps on board mounted above, feathers added to gut bucket before woods dump. Gutting done in large shallow tray(washing machine pan) set on table that has utility arm light clamped on and stool to sit on. Set up and clean up take 4x longer than the slaughtering, wish I could do more than 4 at a time but fridge, freezer and physical stamina capacity is limited. Wow, that got long. Sorry for hijack @byyounghusband.

I'm impressed, duly impressed. Agreed, set up and clean up takes longer than the process. One more question. What do you use for a cone? I've been wondering if a gallon bleach jug would be big enough????

I feel the same way! I have a question for everyone. I have a buffington rooster and his crown as I call it will turn black part way down then go back to all red. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have seen it a couple of times.

Yep. Some people wear their emotions on their shirt sleeves. cockerels/roos wear their emotions on their combs. Just as a human face will blush when embarrassed, a chicken comb will blush when he's excited.

If our birds don't sell, we don't just give them away at a discount. We have paid good money for top quality feed. Roosters as well. No one wants to buy a rooster since craigslist is full of free roosters.
Here is a photo of my husband's device.
IMG_20170809_095254-1.jpg
it is upside down traffic cone suspended over a trash drum. He raises the cone up with the Bird snuggly inserted with it's head out the tip of the cone, use your imagination for what happens to it's head, then lowers the cone for a bit.
Hubby only processes after dark because Fies are like chickens as far as going dormant when the sun goes down. Plus the chicken will be more submissive at night and adrenaline won't taint the meat.
Grabbing a bird a stuffing it in a cone during the day is a chore and stressful for both parties.
My husband is a wacko with his videos and computer stuff. This Rooster in this video cut my hubby's calf open while he was working on a coop and had his back turned. He got him good with a spur. Hub cleaned his wound and made us dinner!
:pop

Gotta love me some "Roasted Rocky"!! Put him on a bed of Celery and quartered Onions, with a Lime cut in half and two cloves of Elephant Garlic in the cavity, into a covered Cast Iron roasting pan for about a hour at 325*
Came out good, but definitely NOT a broiler!! Kinda skinny...

I fixed the problem with my rooster and no he is not dead!!! I just chased him and threaten to pull out his tail feathers. We get along great now.

Glad that worked for you.... Hope it stays that way. My wife clobbered Rocky with a couple empty gallon water jugs once when he attacked her and he did run away. But he stepped up his aggression and that could NOT be tolerated. Don't assume your rooster will always be nice to you. Every bird is different, just like people are.

Our other rooster, Caitlin, is great!! He isn't aggressive towards us or the girls, but he is there when you walk up top make sure your cool. He doesn't abuse the hens either.

I fixed the problem with my rooster and no he is not dead!!! I just chased him and threaten to pull out his tail feathers. We get along great now.

I give my roo a bit of a chase around the barn yard every now and again, simply b/c I feel like we both could use the exercise. The 2 BE cockerels get pushed away from the feed troughs when I'm filling them. I intend for them to know that the girls should eat first. Those cockerels shreek like drama queen girls when they get whumped with the FF spoon.

Glad that worked for you.... Hope it stays that way. My wife clobbered Rocky with a couple empty gallon water jugs once when he attacked her and he did run away. But he stepped up his aggression and that could NOT be tolerated. Don't assume your rooster will always be nice to you. Every bird is different, just like people are.

Our other rooster, Caitlin, is great!! He isn't aggressive towards us or the girls, but he is there when you walk up top make sure your cool. He doesn't abuse the hens either.
How should I store my fresh eggs that I am getting now?

Back
Top Bottom