Aggressive behavior

marialane

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 28, 2010
Hello:

I'm new to this forum, as well as raising Chickens so bear with me!

My husband and I have four black Americauna pullets and one blue cockerel. Recently, the cockerel has been 'flogging' us, if that is the correct term. I figure he is perceiving us as a threat to the hens and now the eggs being laid. The behavior is inconsistent. Maybe because I'm new at this, it is also quite scary. He won't back off even with the recommended broom in hand. Any suggestions? We love this guy! Up until now, he has been a great protector and gentle with the girls. Thanks in advance for your help!

Marialane

Last edited:
I have no advise for you since I've never dealt with a aggresive one! Just wanted to say
frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

Hope you get your problem figured out!!

welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like your young rooster is just going through the "Tough Guy" stage. Its a teenager thing.
He should be over it sooner or later, it won't take that long. Don't stop correcting him when he does try to attack. It should pass soon!

When my Roo got into that old fighting thing I just came straight at him and lifted him by the tail - hung him in the air upside down ( Please don;t drop him if you try this!!!!!) Anyhow he hollored the place down then I put him in the coop run on his own to cool off. Everytime I saw a hen or Rooster start fighting or being aggressive in anyway to eachother or to me I did this and they soon got the message that I am head roo and theres not nastyness in my flock!

Oesdog
big_smile.png
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

My roo just comes at me for more when I kick at him or swat him with something but what settles his butt down for a good while is when I catch him and separate him from the hens for a day. He hates being away from them and he is a good roo for a long while before he tries anything again. I would try to separate him from your hens for a day and see if he doesn't calm down. Don't show him any fear. My husband did that last weekend when he came into the chicken yard and our roo went to attack my husband and my husband jumped back from him. I told my husband he should have kicked him instead of jumping back from him. Koli (my roo) usually makes a go for my husband when he comes into the chicken yard but he seldom tries to attack my daughter and I.

You need to take charge, tame him, let him know you are the lead roo.

Don't let him flog you; spurring is next. And don't hit him with a broom. Pick him up in a bear hug then tuck him under one arm like a football and carry him around. Pet him, stroke his comb and wattles, give him a little food (just feed out of the feeder will do.) Don't let him mate right in front of you; push him off the hen with your foot (gently, of course; I'm not suggesting you ever hurt him.) If you want to carry something "just in case," make it a water squirt bottle.

When he attacks you, or circles or looks like he's thinking about it, grab him and do the football hold, or if he's really excited, hang him upside down by his feet. Don't do this for very long at all, a few seconds, because it partially cuts off their air. When he walks toward you, "back him down," walk toward him.

It's about dominance, and you want him to think of you as lead roo.

Chickens have a "teenage" stage, starts somewhere around 16 weeks, whenever their hormones kick in; even those tame sweet chicks will get rebellious. They'll get through it.

Here's an old link -- sorry the pics are gone:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2588-Roo_behavior

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my goodness you are all so quick and wise! Your right, he senses that I'm afraid of him and letting him take charge. What do you mean when you said that spurring is next? Also, you stated that we shouldn't let him mate in front of us. Can you explain? With all of that said, I have apparently given him too much lead! Thanks again!

I had one who started to get smart and I grabbed his neck at about the head and gave him a firm 'head shake'. Not to hurt him but to get the message across. It worked for him I can't say it'll work for all of them.

Quote:
Do not let them mount the hen in front of you. It is a joke with our neighbors I had to carry my Bantam roo about so much last summer
smile.png
. Charlie no longer thinks he is head roo, hope I have as much luck with the new ones I have!

On the inside on the roosters legs are spurs. They will grow long and sharp. When they fight they stab each other with their spurs. I can assure you, you do not want to get hit with a set of large sharp spurs, been there done that.

Back
Top Bottom