Aggressive Coturnix Question

Lauren111

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
I had 1 male Coturnix and 3 celadon laying females but one lady was being targeted by the male. I introduced 3 non-celadon females to the coop and the celadon layers became super aggressive. I put the celadon layers in a separate coop and left my male with the new sweet ladies but he isn't interested in them and keeps calling to the other ladies. Is there a way to calm him down?

I had 1 male Coturnix and 3 celadon laying females but one lady was being targeted by the male. I introduced 3 non-celadon females to the coop and the celadon layers became super aggressive. I put the celadon layers in a separate coop and left my male with the new sweet ladies but he isn't interested in them and keeps calling to the other ladies. Is there a way to calm him down?
Time.

I avoid integrating my quail at all costs to avoid stressike this.

How many quail do you have total?
Three females to one male is not enough females.

Time.

I avoid integrating my quail at all costs to avoid stressike this.

How many quail do you have total?
Three females to one male is not enough females.
I have 6 females total. 3 celadon laying females and 3 non-celadon laying females. Every time I try to integrate them together it becomes a bloody fight. 😣

Have you tried taking them all out, cleaning and completely rearranging their pen and putting them all back in? That often works for me.
I had rearranged the coop and added in a new hiding space when I introduced the three non-celadon laying hens but I didn't try removing them all and then placing them in there. Do you think that it is possible for them to get along after three rounds of aggression when trying to introduce the new ladies?

I had rearranged the coop and added in a new hiding space when I introduced the three non-celadon laying hens but I didn't try removing them all and then placing them in there. Do you think that it is possible for them to get along after three rounds of aggression when trying to introduce the new ladies?
It depends on the birds. If this doesn't work you might want to replace the aggressive ones. I don't keep aggressive birds because I don't want to deal with injured birds all the time.

I read in another recent thread that you can spray the birds with a water/apple cider vinegar mix that kind of acts as a neutraliser and resets everything as the birds can't distinguish each other's smell through the ACV. Apparently you can also spray the space, which helps as well if you don't want to remove them all to rearrange again.

I've had good luck with the vinegar & water spray. Pretty sure my spray bottle is regular white with water. Don't remember the ratio, but it's posted here somewhere. Put them all together & give them all a spray. Watch for a few minutes and if anyone is rowdy, they get another blast.

I've had good luck with the vinegar & water spray. Pretty sure my spray bottle is regular white with water. Don't remember the ratio, but it's posted here somewhere. Put them all together & give them all a spray. Watch for a few minutes and if anyone is rowdy, they get another blast.
This is exactly what I do.

Back
Top Bottom