Aggressive gander - best option to stop worsening situation?

Goosey Girl

Songster
Dec 31, 2021
Same old story...mating season, 2 young ganders. One gander has been getting more aggressive each day to one goose and now his behavior is brutal. (Have 4 female geese, he is only mean to one).

I have an 8x8 pen covered with 1/2 hardware cloth for isolation in addition to the large electric poultry netted area for flock.

Need to separate. Which would be best?
1. Aggressive gander in pen alone.
2. Aggressive gander with a goose he likes together in pen.
3. Scared, little goose that is being bullied by said gander with another goose together in pen.

I would try #1 first. Sometimes ganders will fight, so that alone would be good to do. If you're looking to do something different, place 2 geese with each gander. Just keep the bullied goose away from the aggressive gander.

I do have a question though. Is she just a favorite?

I would try #1 first. Sometimes ganders will fight, so that alone would be good to do. If you're looking to do something different, place 2 geese with each gander. Just keep the bullied goose away from the aggressive gander.

I do have a question though. Is she just a favorite?
Thanks for answer. She is definitely not a favorite of that gander or the other gander. She prefers to spend the day with the 3 runner ducks. This summer they were one big happy flock. Last few weeks she is outcast. She is healthy, active, but growing much more skittish due to the changing dynamic. Really just a gentle friendly goose...

Attachments

• B8E093EA-5579-4595-9F98-26B80BD55B73.jpeg
    B8E093EA-5579-4595-9F98-26B80BD55B73.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Same old story...mating season, 2 young ganders. One gander has been getting more aggressive each day to one goose and now his behavior is brutal. (Have 4 female geese, he is only mean to one).

I have an 8x8 pen covered with 1/2 hardware cloth for isolation in addition to the large electric poultry netted area for flock.

Need to separate. Which would be best?
1. Aggressive gander in pen alone.
2. Aggressive gander with a goose he likes together in pen.
3. Scared, little goose that is being bullied by said gander with another goose together in pen.

If you separate the gander make sure he isn’t alone, being alone causes an enormous amount of stress and can lead to illness.
The issue is he might develop issues with the other gsnder if they’re separated long enough so you might want to try daily supervised putting where everyone is together.

Keep a close watch on the female, sometimes it is just them being overly sensitive and avoiding the flock because they’re being bullied, other times it’s because of an illness that just hasn’t manifested obvious symptoms yet.

If you separate the gander make sure he isn’t alone, being alone causes an enormous amount of stress and can lead to illness.
The issue is he might develop issues with the other gsnder if they’re separated long enough so you might want to try daily supervised putting where everyone is together.

Keep a close watch on the female, sometimes it is just them being overly sensitive and avoiding the flock because they’re being bullied, other times it’s because of an illness that just hasn’t manifested obvious symptoms yet.
Good advice. Last night bit of a ruckus in the 4x8 night house. Took the problem boy and his girl out and they spent the night together in the pen. He was tooting throughout the night, but it gave the other girl a break.

Today, they are all in the 40x40 electric netting pen together. He seems more subdued, probably because he didn't get much sleep.

Crazy thng is that none of the geese have even laid an egg yet! I have no idea how my crazy gander will be when that happens. He has always seemed to be a bit unhinged since he has young.

Back
Top Bottom