Aggressive hen, need help

Jman45

Chirping
Jun 15, 2018
White Georgia
I just added three hens of the same breed to my old flock yesterday. One of the hens who was originally in the coop keeps pecking and chasing around the other 3 new ones I just bought, why?

Chickens rarely tolerate newcomers. It's best to at first temporarily keep them separate where they can see, but not touch each other. After they are used to each other, maybe in a week, maybe a month or even longer, try integrating them again. Make sure there are multiple feeders/waterers, and room for the newbies to escape from bullies.

I left them in the cage for like 5-10 min then through then in together. But like there literally separating themselves see, the after I took this photo one of the hens was just laying down minding her own business then one of the ones who was first in the pen comes and pecks her and chases her
5B381A12-8410-4575-9208-BEA56E2585CB.jpeg

Chickens rarely tolerate newcomers. It's best to at first temporarily keep them separate where they can see, but not touch each other. After they are used to each other, maybe in a week, maybe a month or even longer, try integrating them again. Make sure there are multiple feeders/waterers, and room for the newbies to escape from bullies.
I only have one operating pen right now.... but like one of the new ones was just laying down and the other one just chases her away and pecks her

This is not the recommend method, but as long as it is only Peck and chase, it may work. But know that there may be serious pecking order scuffles. Keep a really close eye on them all until they settle down. Normally a week or two of see/no touch is a good idea when integrating new birds. I use a large dog crate set up inside the run so everyone can see/smell get to know each other. There are lots of really good integration posts.

This is not the recommend method, but as long as it is only Peck and chase, it may work. But know that there may be serious pecking order scuffles. Keep a really close eye on them all until they settle down. Normally a week or two of see/no touch is a good idea when integrating new birds. I use a large dog crate set up inside the run so everyone can see/smell get to know each other. There are lots of really good integration posts.
I could put them in a cage until dark inside the coop but when I do the rooster flies up st me trying to protect the hens

Would you have a wire cage that you could put the new ones in with food/water, put that cage in the enclosure? You could make some hiding spots along the ground so the new ones can hide. Add couple more feeders & waterers on opposite sides of their enclosure, hopefully it doesn't get worst than chasing.

From the picture of your "coop", it's pretty roomy ... You added 3 to how many?

Would you have a wire cage that you could put the new ones in with food/water, put that cage in the enclosure? You could make some hiding spots along the ground so the new ones can hide. Add couple more feeders & waterers on opposite sides of their enclosure, hopefully it doesn't get worst than chasing.

From the picture of your "coop", it's pretty roomy ... You added 3 to how many?
3, there’s 1 roo and 5 hens. And there’ I have this one cage but it’s kind small and when I try to catch them the rooster gets defensive

Back
Top Bottom