Aggressive hen

tjohnson505

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2016
I have a almost 1 year old cinnamon queen that has been attacking my other hens. She got my Rhode Island Red this last Saturday so bad that we had to put her down. Now I've caught my cinnamon queen jumping on another hen pulling, pluking, and pecking at her neck area- the same area my Rhode Island was attacked. Im knew to chicken keeping, but I'm pretty sure I already know what needs to be done- but I just want to make sure. What do you all suggest?

Hey this sounds like a pecking order issue. Do you have a rooster and how many hens are there in total? How are the other hens behaving? This particular hen sounds like she's trying to establish her dominance over the others. If you want to be able to avoid having this chicken put down, it needs to be separated from the others straightaway. This will a) isolate her so that she can potentially calm down, and b) give the rest of the flock a chance to recover and sort out the pecking order if need be. You could then reintroduce the aggressive hen to the flock after a few days and see if her behaviour improves. If not, you might need to start looking at other options
sad.png

No rooster. I have 6 girls. Pecking order has been established for awhile. She's always been aggressive even towards us at times. She only does this to my girls who won't stand up for themselves. I have 3 other girls that she won't dare mess with. I'm worried for my other 2. They won't stand up to her. They are way bigger than her too- I wished they would put her in her place.

Ok, I really think she needs to be separated asap, even just for the sake of the other chickens. She probably is aware that she is smaller and is trying to establish her superiority. Do you have somewhere where you could put her by herself with feed and water?

I really don't have a place for her to be alone. I have a coop with a small run built on it- but they free range my back yard all day.

Then I'd suggest that you keep her locked by herself in the coop during the day for at least a few days. It will at least give the others some respite and her something of a naughty corner.

Well unfortunately I have girls that need to get in the coop to lay. I'm just going to keep an eye on her and will more than likely just have to put her in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom