Aggressive male goat???

I would try n find a different one r mabie try moving him farther away from the females I keep my male far from my females I had a weather male that was mean to my others goat he wouldn't let them eat when I feed them grain n I but it in different place so they couldn't all eat n not fight over food he would run to ever stop n head butt the goats that was eaten so I had sold him n now he's doing fine but he's an only goat he lives wit a mini horse n no bad habits anymore I couldn't break them

Just got a couple of pygmy goats about 8 months ago. My Buck is rutting but was getting aggressive before.we went out and threw him on the ground. My husband put his knee on his neck and we held him down until he started being nice. I read it may take a couple of times.Going to out him up for sale, as he is too big for my female, but letting him know we are the dominate will help until we sell him

I appreciate reading everyones advise on how to deal with an aggressive male goat. I agree with the need to establish dominance by whatever means necessary, and have personally found this very effective with my smaller goats. However I have a male goat who is now almost 2 years old and weighs about 350 pounds or more. When he stands on his hind legs hes 9 ft tall and he has a magnificent set of horns. I have raised him since he was a day old, and since I only have 4 goats including him, he gets alot of attention, not to mention the fact that hes my favorite. But he is not a pet, he goes from being sweet and liking my company to wanting to kill me in an instant. He can snap a 4x4 post in half like it is a match stick. He doesnt bite but he does try to stick me with his horns...charges like a bull...attempts to knock me down etc. I would appreciate any and all advice by anyone who has experience on handling large male goats. I have learned alto by trial and error but today he attacked me while I was walking him and not only did he hurt me, I couldn't get him to stop and had to scream for help in order not to get stomped. This occurred because i was scratching his head and rubbing his ears and when I stopped he got irate. How could I dominate a goat that out weighs me by 200 pounds? Anyone have any advise on what type of fencing works best? Thanks for your responses!

I appreciate reading everyones advise on how to deal with an aggressive male goat. I agree with the need to establish dominance by whatever means necessary, and have personally found this very effective with my smaller goats. However I have a male goat who is now almost 2 years old and weighs about 350 pounds or more. When he stands on his hind legs hes 9 ft tall and he has a magnificent set of horns. I have raised him since he was a day old, and since I only have 4 goats including him, he gets alot of attention, not to mention the fact that hes my favorite. But he is not a pet, he goes from being sweet and liking my company to wanting to kill me in an instant. He can snap a 4x4 post in half like it is a match stick. He doesnt bite but he does try to stick me with his horns...charges like a bull...attempts to knock me down etc. I would appreciate any and all advice by anyone who has experience on handling large male goats. I have learned alto by trial and error but today he attacked me while I was walking him and not only did he hurt me, I couldn't get him to stop and had to scream for help in order not to get stomped. This occurred because i was scratching his head and rubbing his ears and when I stopped he got irate. How could I dominate a goat that out weighs me by 200 pounds? Anyone have any advise on what type of fencing works best? Thanks for your responses!

With a buck like, that, if he were here, he'd be shot, gutted, and processed after causing an injury to a human. I'd do it even if it was a buck I'd raised from a kid and loved, once severe aggression happens, it is over. That is too large and powerful of an animal to be that dangerous. Get a different buck, never a bottle baby (they tend to be more human aggressive once they rut because they think they are people) but one that is dam raised yet handled as a kid. They need to be human friendly (the daily handling) but know they are a goat (living with the dam and rest of the herd as a kid).

If you insist on keeping him....riding crop, you need to get one. If he comes after you, crack him in the face. Sounds mean, but you need to stay safe. Never be without that crop, use it and mean it so he gives you a safe space when you need to be near him. Never let him near you. He needs to give you a wide berth. Never turn your back to him, ever.

Last edited:
I've been doing some research and a lot of people recommend using a shock collar on the large goats. I have rescued 3 larger goats, pretty sure they're Boer or Boer cross. The male has recouperated quickly from the malnourishment and is starting to show aggressive behavior. I had right away started water in the face when he tries to ram. Not sure I can flip him on my own, especially when he's all fired up. I plan to get him wethered. Does anyone know if the behavior calms down after wethering? Or have tried a shock collar? I don't like thd idea of them, but it's better than me getting injured I guess.

I raised dairy goats for over 40 years and I never, and I mean NEVER did I have an aggressive buck or one that even challenged me except once. That was a young buckling with an oversized ego and an undersized brain. He butted me. Not hard, but he did butt me. He never did it again but then I made it quite clear that it wasn't a good idea. If I ever did have an aggressive buck he would have been in the freezer. It just isn't worth it. He can seriously injure you particularly if he catches you off guard. Hospital stays and rehab are very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom