Aggressive male goat???

Goat Lover 3

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
I have a very aggressive buck! Buddy, was nice when he was a baby, until I took him away from my 2 does. His pen is right next to my does, he can see and hear them! Some people tell me it's not normal for bucks to be mean and that it's his personality!? I treat him nicely. He tries to butt me and bite my dad and I when we trim his hooves. He also butted my niece and knocked her down! He stays in his pen and I give him food and water through the fence. When he tries to butt I spray him with a water bottle and it seems to clam him down.

Last edited:
My family raised goats for many years. It seams that some bucks just mature into monsters.

About 5 years ago my family had a really nice looking buck but he turned out to be meaner then mean. He would chase you and try to pin you between the fence and him. We never could get him to stop so we got rid of him.

I hope your buck mellows out for you.

Wow! Is there a reason he's mean? I can't get rid of him because it took me forever to find a male pygmy goat, not castrated, and polled!

Quote:
Wow! Is there a reason he's mean? I can't get rid of him because it took me forever to find a male pygmy goat, not castrated, and polled!
It could just be him. Maybe you can search for a new buck and when you find one, you can sell your not-so-nice buck.

My family raised goats for many years. It seams that some bucks just mature into monsters.

About 5 years ago my family had a really nice looking buck but he turned out to be meaner then mean. He would chase you and try to pin you between the fence and him. We never could get him to stop so we got rid of him.

I hope your buck mellows out for you.
I agree. The first buck some friends of ours purchased was really nice at first, but once he got into rut, he turned terribly mean. They ended up getting rid of him. Since we hadn't had goats at the time, I was a bit concerned about having problems with mean bucks. Well, we were so blessed to buy the buck we have now; before him, I didn't know there was such a thing as a friendly buck. He is as sweet and gentle as can be and he enjoys playing with us. Hope that helps some. : )

Last edited:
Buddy is always ready to fight! My 2 female pygmy goats hated Buddy when I Introduced him to them. I had to keep him separated until he was old enough to fight them. When Buddy was old enough to fight them, he became the boss! When I separated him again in the end of May, he became mean? I'm wondering if all the fighting he did with the girls made him mean? I hope I do find a nice buck sometime.

This is Buddy. He always has the hair on his back raised!​

Last edited:
I have heard many different things over the years. How old is buddy? Why did you remove him from your 2 does?

If I understand correctly he became mean after you removed him from being with your does? He may be getting frustrated ( not being able to breed/ being alone). Some young bucks are just way to overzealous to breed and get upset and mean when they can't.

I was told by a lady who breeds and shows dairy goats that sometimes spending more time grooming, leading etc. will help them mellow out and others sometimes will mellow out with age. When your around him you can punish him when he's being bad and reward him (grain etc.) when he's being good. Kind of like training a dog.

Buddy is going to be 1 year old, October, 12th. I removed him from my does because they were pregnant and he was butting them in the stomach! Yes, he got mean about a week after I took him away. I was taking him out of his pen everyday, leading him around the yard, training him to the halter, letting him graze with the other goats on a leash...etc. I was going to take him to a goat show in a few weeks, so I was practicing leading him around the yard, and doing things with him! One day, (about a week before the show) I went in his pen, turned around to lock the gate, and Buddy butted me on the leg! He was rearing up at me too! Since then, he has been very mean and nasty (like peeing in his face)! I decided not to take him to the show, I was afraid he would hurt someone. He finally got so mean, that I can't go in his pen unless he's tied up! I tied him up today, and went in his pen. I pet him and gave him leafs, and sprayed him in the face with water when he tried to bite or butt me! After that, my hand smelled like him!
roll.png
I upsets me that he's so mean and I can't do anything with him.
sad.png

I'm sorry to hear that. Peeing on their face is normal for mature bucks (they think it makes them more attractive to the does lol).

Since he is still young he might mellow out with some time. I'm glad that he's only a Pygmy and not a large boer like my mean buck. If there are more local shows you might want to go to them (not bringing buddy) and talk to some other people showing bucks. They might have had similar problems or have other ideas on how to get him to stop being so mean.

Haha! I'm not sure how that's very attractive, I guess it's just a goat thing!
lol.png

I have been at some goat shows and asked people why they think he's so mean. A lot of them told me it was probably just his personality, and that I should get rid of him. But, I can't sell him! It took me almost a year to find a pygmy buck without horns! I guess I will just have to deal with him!
hmm.png

Thank you so much for all your help though! I really appreciate it!
smile.png

Last edited:
I never had trouble with an aggressive buck except for once. This fellow was young and stupid and he thought he was much higher on the pecking order than I thought he was. He butted me. Once. I was furious. I grabbed him by two fistfuls of hide and hair, picked him up bodily and dumped him uncerimoniously on his side in the middle of a mud puddle. Dumping him on his side was intentional. The mud puddle was not. I bruised his ego more than anything, but he never challenged me again. As for your boy, I would put him on the ground on his back and sit on him or lay over him until he can behave himself. it shouldn't take long before he figures out challenging you is a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom