Aggressive male

CAF

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2020
Hi to you all I am on here again with problems. I had a group off 5 birds 1 roo and 4 hens but sadly lost the male quail so I introduced a new roo to the the hens and the male has seemed to single one of the female quail out. He constantly chases her I think to try and mate but she is having none off it. I feel sorry for her so not sure what to do and as I’m pretty new to this not sure if it’s normal? It is breeding season here

How old are your hens? A little bit of chasing is normal, but he shouldn't pick only one hen. Can you separate the rooster so he can see the hens but not interact with them directly? It gives them time to get to know each other.

How old are your hens? A little bit of chasing is normal, but he shouldn't pick only one hen. Can you separate the rooster so he can see the hens but not interact with them directly? It gives them time to get to know each other.
The hens are about 6 months old and the roo is about 2 months old.
When I put him in three off the hens pecked at him but that has stopped now but the one hen he’s trying to single out is a softer bird and didn’t show any aggression towards him when I first put him in. Not sure if I’m correct but could he just be trying to mate with that one hen as the other 3 were aggressive towards him when he first went in?

The hens are about 6 months old and the roo is about 2 months old.
When I put him in three off the hens pecked at him but that has stopped now but the one hen he’s trying to single out is a softer bird and didn’t show any aggression towards him when I first put him in. Not sure if I’m correct but could he just be trying to mate with that one hen as the other 3 were aggressive towards him when he first went in?

Give them some time ;). Some hens don't accept a new rooster right away, especially when the old one has passed recently. It took my old hens about a month to get used to a new rooster. Some wire between the hens and the rooster can make the introduction easier.

But be aware, that sometimes the hens or even only one of them do not accept the new roo.
I had several problems to get a flock together for my Celadon roo.

He is a bit shy. I had to set him to 2 different flocks. First didn't worked at all. And from the second I had to remove one hen, which attacked him permanently.
After she hit him a black eye, I removed her.
Now I introduced a very young hen from my last hatch and it is working (after little problems with the older hens).

As @Pandaisy said ... a bit patience. But watch carefully. Any injury and you need to seperate the attacker and/or the injured.

Any chance of a flock is unpredictable.

Good luck!

Last edited:
i’ve had a few older hens that would not submit to any roo old or new.......those hens ended up in freezer camp, but if good layers you could consider keeping for laying eating eggs or try with a different roo

Back
Top Bottom