Aggressive male?

D3f4ult

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2020
Hello, so i hatched 4 of 12 quail eggs on 14/11/2020.
One died 19/11/2020 because it wasn't eating or drinking and couldn't walk.

In December I figured out I had 2 males and 1 female, they were all fine until the end of December when 1 of my male quails who started foaming first started plucking the feathers out of the females head making her bald, I separated them for a day and since then he tries to mate with her and the male and then the males fight so I've had to keep him in his own box and its only been recently that he's been pecking and sort of growling at me when I'm near him. All of them have been handled since young and I don't know why he's being a little pr*ck. I don't really want to kill him so should I just keep him separated?

The other male and the female are together and laying eggs and he doesn't rip her feathers out.

Following this now, want to know how to pans out have a slight similar thing starting to happen

If we're talking about coturnix quail, that's not a surprise. The ideal ratio for males to females with them is one roo, 3-5 hens. They can become quite aggressive if they don't get that. Sometimes you're lucky enough to get a roo that is happy with a single hen and he won't overbreed her, but that's rare.

If we're talking about button quail, they do well in pairs, and if they don't have a mate or if they want a mate that another has, they can be aggressive.

If we're talking about coturnix quail, that's not a surprise. The ideal ratio for males to females with them is one roo, 3-5 hens. They can become quite aggressive if they don't get that. Sometimes you're lucky enough to get a roo that is happy with a single hen and he won't overbreed her, but that's rare.

If we're talking about button quail, they do well in pairs, and if they don't have a mate or if they want a mate that another has, they can be aggressive.

Yeah, It was a dozen Coturnix quail eggs that I brought and only 4 hatched, the female is white and the 2 males are pharoah (i belive). They were raised together since hatching and when he was aggressive to her I was looking to buy 2 more females for him but I can't find any that deliver and are close to me so hes been alone for a while.

The other male and female are 100% ok with eachother and not aggressive in any way.

I don’t have any quails right now, tried to hatch some but it failed, but anyways whenever I get an aggressive rooster I Cover his head and pick him up everyday for a few weeks, it’s worked fine for me, but again I’ve never owned quails

I've had quail try to attack me. It's usually because they are eager for food, water, treats, or being territorial. I can't bring myself to get worried about a ten oz bird attacking me, though.

They're indoors because of the avian influenza going on in the uk, so they all have clean food and water 24/7. I would assume he's being territorial or just straight up being an assh*le .

I don’t have any quails right now, tried to hatch some but it failed, but anyways whenever I get an aggressive rooster I Cover his head and pick him up everyday for a few weeks, it’s worked fine for me, but again I’ve never owned quails
Quail aren't as tame a chickens, so that may or may not work. Mine aren't pets, so I don't handle them much.

Back
Top Bottom