Aggressive males, killing females...help please!

If anyone can give you a crash course in quail raising, it is James Marie. He has the knowledge that I think you need. Good luck! :)

Excellent. Thank you!

I think what I've walked into is a well meaning team with little knowledge and they've lacked some leadership and guidance. So everyone is very gung ho, just not necessarily well versed in all aspects. My job is to try to turn this thing from an "in the red" to an "in the black" farm but it's going in so many directions!

Luckily, the owner is willing to take advice and change course as needed. The birds may need some serious changes. In the immediate future though, I need to communicate effectively why I am essentially going to reduce production to zero. Going to take your notes, will get a hold of the person you mentioned.

Thanks so much again.

Excellent. Thank you!

I think what I've walked into is a well meaning team with little knowledge and they've lacked some leadership and guidance. So everyone is very gung ho, just not necessarily well versed in all aspects. My job is to try to turn this thing from an "in the red" to an "in the black" farm but it's going in so many directions!

Luckily, the owner is willing to take advice and change course as needed. The birds may need some serious changes. In the immediate future though, I need to communicate effectively why I am essentially going to reduce production to zero. Going to take your notes, will get a hold of the person you mentioned.

Thanks so much again.

Good luck! Definitely talk to Robbie at James Marie Farms. I think he has what it takes to get you on the right track.

Oh, and keep us posted! I am very curious as to how this turns out.
smile.png

Been talking to Robbie. Getting back on w/ him in a minute. Bought the book that was also PM'd to me as a recommendation. Robbie is a good egg (no pun intended) and is giving me a crash course like none other.

Thank you for hooking that up!!! I'm learning a ton.

Been talking to Robbie. Getting back on w/ him in a minute. Bought the book that was also PM'd to me as a recommendation. Robbie is a good egg (no pun intended) and is giving me a crash course like none other.

Thank you for hooking that up!!! I'm learning a ton.
I figured he might be the man to help you out. Your situation calls for professional help here. And he raises them on large scales too. If he can't help you, then no one I know can.

I am glad he is helping you with this. I can imagine how over whelming this must be!

Good luck and keep us posted!
smile.png

HOLY SMOKES!!! During my break at work, I read the initial post and figured that I would respond this evening when work was finished, and I took care of my birds. I think 2Crows has you pointed in the right direction. The one thing that I can say is if they are Coturnix (pharoah), a 4' x 4' space is still way too small for 30 quail. Bobwhite really need a lot more room than Pharoahs. If the goal is to have 1200+ birds, you may want to review this link. This link has a lot of good info on it as well.

Here are some links to quail, can you compare the ones you have with any in these links?

Bobwhite

Pharoah quail (Coturnix)

California Quail

Gambels Quail

Mountain Quail

I will be tied up in meetings all day tomorrow, so I won't be able to get back on until late in the evening. I really hope this helps,
James

Yep james marie.. robbie is the best person you can talk to out of anyone out there... after him it is this forum for help. Ive learned a ton... I had lots of problems when I got my birds going... its a learning curve.... but not hard... just a lot to learn..

You probably want to use evry cage you have too when separating them out... that way they have as much space as possible... space is a huge deal for quail... food wise a crumbles feed thats 20%-26% protein...

Set the timer for 8 hours of light a day.... birds calm down a lot when lights are out... and they need quiet to sleep.. so when the lights are out dont disturb them too much once you got it all set up.

Like what was said males with males females with females then where the male can not see the females at all...

We still need to know what kind of quail they are to offer any more advice...

HOLY SMOKES!!! During my break at work, I read the initial post and figured that I would respond this evening when work was finished, and I took care of my birds. I think 2Crows has you pointed in the right direction. The one thing that I can say is if they are Coturnix (pharoah), a 4' x 4' space is still way too small for 30 quail. Bobwhite really need a lot more room than Pharoahs. If the goal is to have 1200+ birds, you may want to review this link. This link has a lot of good info on it as well.

Here are some links to quail, can you compare the ones you have with any in these links?

Bobwhite

Pharoah quail (Coturnix)

California Quail

Gambels Quail

Mountain Quail

I will be tied up in meetings all day tomorrow, so I won't be able to get back on until late in the evening. I really hope this helps,
James

You probably want to use evry cage you have too when separating them out... that way they have as much space as possible... space is a huge deal for quail... food wise a crumbles feed thats 20%-26% protein...

Set the timer for 8 hours of light a day.... birds calm down a lot when lights are out... and they need quiet to sleep.. so when the lights are out dont disturb them too much once you got it all set up.

Like what was said males with males females with females then where the male can not see the females at all...

We still need to know what kind of quail they are to offer any more advice...

Back
Top Bottom