Aggressive or lovely chick ?

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
So, theres a chick thats always been fond of me, yet always so jumpy of others (also a bit jumpy of me if i annoy him) he always loved to snuggle with me, but was And still is a HUGE girly crybaby! Very overdramatic. He started getting on my hand and pecking my hand in which telling me to lift him up, of course this jesture always confused me and I thiught he was annoyed with me, i dont think he was, he never pecked in annoyance in that age and if was annoyed/bothered would scream and run away, so when i lifted him up he started to place his head on my shoulder and exhale, he would drop his body down in complete comfort, wiggle his tail and flop down his wings, he did this for about 2-3 weeks, til he was older. By this time he started doing minor bites, still doing the exact same gestures, as he got older (current age!) he started wiggling his butt as if he was trying to mate, and bit a lot harder on my wrist, he used to get very offended if i tried gentky slapping his face (super gentle) and ran off whimpering, but now he doesnt really listen to the hand slap, he bites until lifted up, and waits for a moment to stop, he made me bleed 1 time and normally i just get bruses, but their very painful! Can someone explain this behavior? Ive never had a chicken do this before! Ps; hes about 8-10 weeks now!. Hes also a hedimora black chick, and he has crowed (many many times, i dont know if this makes a difference in this behavior, But he acts like hes confused if i push him away and gets really hurt, sometimes ignoring me, can someone tell me what to do, if this is love or aggression, and how to solve it / the cause?

Last edited:
It will turn into bad aggression if it hasn't already. He's become too familiar with you. Show him his place, don't let him get away with this. Hold him down, if he tries that again and ignore him the rest of the time

You are giving your rooster chick human emotions. And you are right in the thinking that you are misinterpreting his cues. You think he is being darling and friendly, he thinks you are being submissive and he is dominant. He does not have feelings that are being hurt, he is so far retreating for a later attack.

This WILL GET WORSE! MUCH WORSE. People on here have been seriously hurt by an aggressive rooster.

In chicken society, each bird knows their place. When any two birds meet, one is higher, and one is lower. All hens are lower than the rooster. Roosters raised with flock mates the same age as them, out grow them, become sexually active before them, and often are very rough with the pullets. They become bullies and too confident and bully people too.

Rooster chicks raised in a multi-generational flock, have manners thumped into them by older birds, both hens and roosters, which are bigger than they are. They learn respect, and they rise to the top much more slowly.

Rooster chicks raised by very nice people to them, that like to hold and cuddle them, with just pullets, often become bullies because there is no other bird bigger than them, they get away with aggressive behavior, and at about 4 months you add hormones, and these birds can become dangerous. They have no fear which is no respect for people.

If you have children under the age of 6, a child could take this attack in the face. Do not risk it. These birds tend to attack children first, then women, then men.

He IS ATTACKING you now. If you are a forceful person, chase him away. Do not offer your hand to him at all. Do not feed him by hand. Make him the lower bird... but to be honest, I don't see that in your post. I strongly recommend getting this bird out of your flock as soon as possible.

Mrs K

You are giving your rooster chick human emotions. And you are right in the thinking that you are misinterpreting his cues. You think he is being darling and friendly, he thinks you are being submissive and he is dominant. He does not have feelings that are being hurt, he is so far retreating for a later attack.

This WILL GET WORSE! MUCH WORSE. People on here have been seriously hurt by an aggressive rooster.

In chicken society, each bird knows their place. When any two birds meet, one is higher, and one is lower. All hens are lower than the rooster. Roosters raised with flock mates the same age as them, out grow them, become sexually active before them, and often are very rough with the pullets. They become bullies and too confident and bully people too.

Rooster chicks raised in a multi-generational flock, have manners thumped into them by older birds, both hens and roosters, which are bigger than they are. They learn respect, and they rise to the top much more slowly.

Rooster chicks raised by very nice people to them, that like to hold and cuddle them, with just pullets, often become bullies because there is no other bird bigger than them, they get away with aggressive behavior, and at about 4 months you add hormones, and these birds can become dangerous. They have no fear which is no respect for people.

If you have children under the age of 6, a child could take this attack in the face. Do not risk it. These birds tend to attack children first, then women, then men.

He IS ATTACKING you now. If you are a forceful person, chase him away. Do not offer your hand to him at all. Do not feed him by hand. Make him the lower bird... but to be honest, I don't see that in your post. I strongly recommend getting this bird out of your flock as soon as possible.

Mrs K
Thank you very much for this detailed post! I had no clue it was any part of a bad behavior, though i was starting to think he was getting to aggressive, ill try to be more forceful instead of letting him get on my hand! I normally am not a forceful person as i often feel bad, but considering he hasnt been biting this hard for a while, (it kind of just started) i think i could try being much more forceful with him, thank you again for this post, it helps out a lot becuase nothing i found online seemed to help, and i think that i would have noticed last minute when it was to late, Yesterday i pushed him back when he tried to get on and bite me, and he didnt try to do it again for a bit, and the next time he did it was less aggressive

Last edited:
It will turn into bad aggression if it hasn't already. He's become too familiar with you. Show him his place, don't let him get away with this. Hold him down, if he tries that again and ignore him the rest of the time
Thank you, i had no idea he would get so aggressive earlier on, and at first i had no clue he was infact a rooster, so i just let him do it, this helps a lot, thank you!

This is the perfect way to raise a dominant cockerel.
Alright, thank you, i did think he was getting aggressive but not til later on, as he originally didnt do this, and i didnt know he was a male at first, so i just let him do it anyway

We are not scolding you, this is a common mistake. With puppies and kittens, if you are nice to them, they are nice to you. Rooster chicks are not like that. You didn't know, but we do know, and can see a wreck waiting to happen.

I strongly recommend seeing if you can get someone else to take him.

We are not scolding you, this is a common mistake. With puppies and kittens, if you are nice to them, they are nice to you. Rooster chicks are not like that. You didn't know, but we do know, and can see a wreck waiting to happen.

I strongly recommend seeing if you can get someone else to take him.
Me? I never said you were, I appreciate your help a bunch and your time to take writing it, i know some people that are amazing with care but he is a lot more lovey now and hasnt been biting much at all, or doing any aggressive behavior, he still sits on my lap and snuggles with me, sorry if i made you think i didnt appreciate your help, i was starting to think something was wrong though, and wanted to just be sure,

Back
Top Bottom