dirtroaddarlin

Songster
Mar 28, 2018
My 4 production red have been pretty chill so far. Usually when I reach my hand in to grab their feed, they run the other way. Tonight, one tried to go after my hand, so I grabbed a pair of shears and gently pushed them away from the feed. Then all of them came over and tried to peck at the shears. Is this normal? They have been pretty calm until recently, they have began to display aggressive behavior. They are 5 weeks old.

Last edited:
Ok that’s good. Thank you
That being said... it is normal for more pecking order behavior to take place.

And we have had some chicks act like jerks from very early age, and stay biters right into their last days on earth. :hmm :drool

But they should have lots of friendly curiosity... offer up some treat if you like. Careful though, they WILL UN-intentionally try to take a finger off or chunk of your palm with them. My birds know I feed them so they always rush my hand by that stage. And some will like to peck freckles or other spots they see. They LOVE to peck open a wound. So don't let them see any, it's painful. :mad: And oh yes they will invite their friends to feast on the fresh blood as well. I still consider it more instinct than actual aggression.. and the blood must taste goo to them. :sick This is why cannibalism can be an issue among chickens.

Before long they will be snooty teenagers avoiding you... :p

If you do have one that IS displaying aggressive behavior towards you... I will give them a gentle peck to the head or slight pull on the feathers at he nape/back of the neck the way another flock member would. and make them run away from me. Of course that wouldn't be trying to make them fear you... just respect you... It won't cause fear later in life. And isn't really something I will do with cockerels, that's a WHOLE other ball park! I don't want them to see me as part of their pecking order... just know that my rule goes. I am the giant that brings feed every day. No (actual) aggression will be tolerated from someone who is too stupid to recognize the giant who has brought food every single day of it's life. ;)

That being said... it is normal for more pecking order behavior to take place.

And we have had some chicks act like jerks from very early age, and stay biters right into their last days on earth. :hmm :drool

But they should have lots of friendly curiosity... offer up some treat if you like. Careful though, they WILL UN-intentionally try to take a finger off or chunk of your palm with them. My birds know I feed them so they always rush my hand by that stage. And some will like to peck freckles or other spots they see. They LOVE to peck open a wound. So don't let them see any, it's painful. :mad: And oh yes they will invite their friends to feast on the fresh blood as well. I still consider it more instinct than actual aggression.. and the blood must taste goo to them. :sick This is why cannibalism can be an issue among chickens.

Before long they will be snooty teenagers avoiding you... :p

If you do have one that IS displaying aggressive behavior towards you... I will give them a gentle peck to the head or slight pull on the feathers at he nape/back of the neck the way another flock member would. and make them run away from me. Of course that wouldn't be trying to make them fear you... just respect you... It won't cause fear later in life. And isn't really something I will do with cockerels, that's a WHOLE other ball park! I don't want them to see me as part of their pecking order... just know that my rule goes. I am the giant that brings feed every day. No (actual) aggression will be tolerated from someone who is too stupid to recognize the giant who has brought food every single day of it's life. ;)
Thank you so much for your advice. I’m brand new to this and wasn’t sure If gently letting them know I’m boss is appropriate or not. I have been tapping their sides once if I want them to move and that seems to work, at least with the black sexlinks. It’s good to know the reds behavior is more out of curiosity than out of aggression! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom