Aggressive quail hen

Back Yard Quails

Hatching
Dec 31, 2023
Hi everyone!
I originally bought two coturnix quail hens (Snickers and Twix), I bought them together, so I don't know how they were introduced or how they had lived together but I do know that one was considerably older than the other. the oldest (Snickers) passed away about two weeks ago so I decided to purchase some new coturnix friends for her (they came from the same place that I had originally bought the first two from and they are both confirmed 100% certain females) when I put them in one (Mars) immediately ran over to Twix and they were scratching in their sand bath together and the second I put in started exploring the coop (Hedgehog slice).
They got along great at first and they were all doing really well but I noticed Twix chasing Hedgehog around the cage, they stopped shortly after, and I've been keeping a close eye on them today. I notice that at a random point Twix starts chasing Hedgehog around the cage packing at her back while hedgehog tries to get away from her. They all have well over a square foot of space, there are many places to rest and roost and they have all their needs met, Twix doesn't chase Mars and she only chases Hedgehog for 15 seconds to about a minute before she stops, Mars stands between them a lot now and I've seen her intervene twice during the chasing. and the chasing isn't constant, and I have seen Twix standing near Hedgehog peacefully without chasing her.
Is this just them establishing a pecking order or is it something territorial? I do have a new outdoor coop for them that I haven't built yet but it is larger than the one they are in, I am just concerned as I have read about quails 'snapping' and tearing out feathers and causing bleeding, at the moment there hasn't been feather pulling or damage done but I don't want it to get to that point.
Also: I am not planning on culling any of my girls and I am trying to avoid rehoming any of them but if push comes to shove I am willing to do what it takes to keep the majority of my girls safe.

Back
Top Bottom