Aggressive roo

ivyleechick

Chirping
Jul 2, 2020
I have a 9 week old EE roo that started grabbing the neck feathers of my 9 week old pullets. Would he be trying to mate with them already? He seems too young to start doing something like that. Any input would help. Thank you.

I have a 9 week old EE roo that started grabbing the neck feathers of my 9 week old pullets. Would he be trying to mate with them already? He seems too young to start doing something like that. Any input would help. Thank you.
Possibly mating behavior or bullying to gain dominance over the pullets. It is normal behavior as long as it doesn't get to physical to the point of hurting the pullets.

Would he be trying to mate with them already? He seems too young to start doing something like that. Any input would help.
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

That's not aggression it's one of two things.. setting of dominance or mating...

There's hardly such thing as too young.. I had a Silkie crow at 3 weeks! And MANY MANY cockerels attempting to mate before 9 weeks. All are individuals. Boys always mature sexually before girls do in my experience.

Since he's starting young, maybe he won't be so clumsy and awkward when the real time comes around. Hopefully he will learn some manners too by then. Right now he's still mostly gonna be serving himself. But later he will be watching the skies while the ladies forage, taking them out to dinner, dancing, and serenading before trying to sneak his spur up her skirt, LOL! :p That's actually treat calling, wing drop shuffle dance, crowing to ward of predators and suitors alike, garble sound, "hey honey, are you in the mood", sometimes yes. And sometimes she say no. With maturity (time) good things CAN come. :love

EE are my least favorite boys thus far, personality wise. :oops:

I have a bachelor pen with some older ladies in their for the roosters to learn their manners as those girls don't take their crap but if he is to young then maybe just keep him with other Roos if he's causing serious damage. But if not he's just a teenager and teenagers get to excited about sex

Back
Top Bottom