Aggressive rooster and small children, really need some answers asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't want to halt your breeding you might have to keep the kids away and bear the responsibility and risk until your new cockerel is big enough.

Try putting him in a dog crate separate from everyone, but within sight, for a week or so. If he starts to be mean when you feed him walk away for five minutes and then come back to give him food. We did this to one of our roosters as we were trying to sell him; but when no one got him within two weeks we tested him back in the yard and he was a doll. Now if he gets feisty a short time in the crate is all he needs.

I had seen a video on this topic on YouTube yesterday. Please make sure you are wearing gloves before you handle your roo. I really suggest you search the video on YouTube. He held him gently down to the ground and placed his fingers on the back of his neck. Its hard to explain but he said thats exactly how roos show dominance and once you do that a few times with your roo they know who is the boss.

I had seen a video on this topic on YouTube yesterday. Please make sure you are wearing gloves before you handle your roo. I really suggest you search the video on YouTube. He held him gently down to the ground and placed his fingers on the back of his neck. Its hard to explain but he said thats exactly how roos show dominance and once you do that a few times with your roo they know who is the boss.
I am pretty sure I saw the video. He will have to repeat the procedure and eventually the rooster is going to fight back. The video depicts only a snapshot in time.

I had a buff Orpington roo that would pillage and plunder treated his gals like trash ! He attacked my 4 year old and went into the fryer the next day! I realize he a rooster etc but this one was just savage! The benefits of having a rooster is great but can not tolerate them flogging my family

I’ve never had them attack us, but what comes to mind is a spray bottle with water. One that you can adjust the nozzle. Mine like to come up on my porch and I don’t want poo on it so I used a spray bottle with water to train them not to come on my porch. Occasionally they forget and I spray them to remind them.
I would think if he got a few squirts to his face of cold water in a stream he may change his attitude. It’s worth a try. Good luck!!!

We just purchased a rooster a few weeks ago, we only have a flock of 5 hens. When we first brought him home and for the first week or so he was wonderful. He seemed very sweet and gentle. Starting about a week ago he started attacking my smallest girl, he tried to attack my oldest girl who's job it is to feed them in the morning. She tells me he only did it once and I wasnt aware he was going after her. I thought it was only the smallest, who is 3 and I've had a rooster who did this before. We quickly got rid of that one. But I thought it may just be her small size, so I havnt left her alone with this one because of it . Well, now this rooster is also attacking me anytime I go into the coop. He grabbed my sleeve this morning and left a red mark on my wrist. I'm scared to enter the coop and so are my girls.
Obviously, we cant have this. My question is, is there anything that can be done to change this? Or do we simply need to get rid of him? He's a beautiful rooster and seemed great in the beginning, but no matter how beautiful or sweet I will not have a rooster that attacks. My girls, or myself. The first one he did it to was the smallest like I said, and I had to get aggressive with him and shove him away so I'm guessing he's attacking me now because I'm a threat?
Why do you need a rooster?

I raised my roo from birth so the dynamics might be different and it might be exceptionally hard to do this. However, when my roo gets uppity for no good reason I hold him upside down in my arms a good 20 minutes while walking around. The first time it was a bit of a fight. I had to physically restrain his legs. The other times he learned to just take it. After about 4 times he hasn't bitten me or my 5 year old. Quick action is required too. It was tough to let my 5 year old take care of her own bloody bite. However, chickens have the mentality of 3 year olds. You have to get them right after the occurrence or you are just being mean. No fear. They sence it. First it signals you aren't safe plus it lets them think they can get one over on you.. So no fear that is super important..
I had a rooster that was aggressive too...it may sound funny but i put him on punishment for abt 3-4days. He got segregated from the other chickens and after his punishment was up i let him out...after abt 3 or 4 times of segregation he stopped. Plus i went and spent one on one time with him..held him and talked to him...he got better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom