Aggressive rooster and small children, really need some answers asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I'll have to give that a try.

We never had a problem with the ones we raised from birth so i agree he's probably not. I'm guessing this guy got spooked somehow after being here about a week and then got a aggressive. I've definately pushed him back, held my shoe out at him lol and gave him a little pat on the bottom the first few times it happened ( just to clarify I did not hit him, just patted him). I was wondering if that's why hes attacking me now? Because now I'm a threat. I was also wondering if it's a territory thing, if he just doesnt want us coming in HIS run with HIS hens? He seems good with the hens, he was very tolerant of them pecking him and teasing him when he got here.
The only rooster we've had in the past that had this behavior...did not stay. So I have zero experience training it out of them if you can.
I have raised all kinds and breeds of chickens for over 30 years,so I have gathered some experience in dealing with them.Most of my Roos are very good boys-easy to handle,and good with their hens.But I have had a few who were mean at the outset-they would kick me in the shins so hard,it was like being hit with a sledgehammer.But by continually handling and working with them,they are like big babies now.So,here are some tips-you may have to combine several to get results,and it WILL TAKE SOME TIME,but it works.You have to understand things from their level-they are defenders of their territory,and flock.So,by instinct,they act accordingly.So I would suggest isolating them from the girls to start.That will focus his attention on you,with nobody around he has to defend.One thing,though- NEVER hang any chicken by their feet-it's traumatic to them,it puts a tremendous strain on their thigh muscles and is painful to them,and it only makes behavior problems worse.You want to build a friendly relationship with them,as they see it.So you do what makes them feel comfortable.The holding like a baby is a good idea.they will get used to it fairly quickly.Also.for more "incorrigible ones,you may have to hold them to the ground in a crouching position,and GENTLY push their head downward.Hold them there for a few minutes,then release.you may have to repeat this a few times EVERY time you approach them,but it establishes to them that you are the dominant ROO ,with out being cruel,or appearing threatening or confrontational to them..Once they get to the point that you can approach them without attack,then every time you approach them,pick them up and stroke their chest area,their thighs,their neck-you will feel them relax after a few minutes.They like this.And when you make this a habit EVERY time you handle them,they will eventually follow you around like dogs,wanting more.I did this with my most recent arrivals,Tom & Jerry,and they follow me all over.But this will take TIME,and some WORK-but it DOES get results-I've done it. Giving my Boys away is not an option for me-they were unwanted and were rescues in the first place,and once I bring someone in,he/she STAYS,no matter what.No matter how mean they were to start with,I have NEVER had to give one up.So just be patient with them,isolate them at first,establish dominance as I suggested,but in a friendly,non confrontational way,handle them very frequently,stroke them,and he/they WILL respond.

Cull him now. Trying to fix a roo might be OK for adults but is not worth it with kids involved. My life has gotten a lot more peaceful since I have have zero patience with aggressive Roo's. One strike your out. Their not only a pain to deal with I don't want that temperment bred into my flock.

We just purchased a rooster a few weeks ago, we only have a flock of 5 hens. When we first brought him home and for the first week or so he was wonderful. He seemed very sweet and gentle. Starting about a week ago he started attacking my smallest girl, he tried to attack my oldest girl who's job it is to feed them in the morning. She tells me he only did it once and I wasnt aware he was going after her. I thought it was only the smallest, who is 3 and I've had a rooster who did this before. We quickly got rid of that one. But I thought it may just be her small size, so I havnt left her alone with this one because of it . Well, now this rooster is also attacking me anytime I go into the coop. He grabbed my sleeve this morning and left a red mark on my wrist. I'm scared to enter the coop and so are my girls.
Obviously, we cant have this. My question is, is there anything that can be done to change this? Or do we simply need to get rid of him? He's a beautiful rooster and seemed great in the beginning, but no matter how beautiful or sweet I will not have a rooster that attacks. My girls, or myself. The first one he did it to was the smallest like I said, and I had to get aggressive with him and shove him away so I'm guessing he's attacking me now because I'm a threat?
It's a rooster's job to "take care of his flock" -- and a "good" rooster, who takes his job seriously, will be aggressive. My best rooster fought a bald eagle off (no kidding!) My neighbor saw it -- and I didn't lose a single bird. He was covered in blood, comb and head ripped up, 1 eye swollen shut, but I was able to save him (& his eye). His dad (Roy) was also a feisty, aggressive bird. If you don't have predators to worry about, you can probably swap him out ... or you can start going into your coop with a broom and show him who's boss. I just started grabbing Roy and holding him firmly immobilized, till he realized I was someone to be reckoned with, and he stopped attacking me. He actually lost his eye in a hawk attack, but still continued being extremely protective of his girls. Lived to be 10 yrs old. I still remember him with great fondness. Roy Jr. is showing the same intelligent protective behavior, but a bit more subdued since his injury.

https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...y-rooster-suddenly-become-aggressive-H68.aspx
We just purchased a rooster a few weeks ago, we only have a flock of 5 hens. When we first brought him home and for the first week or so he was wonderful. He seemed very sweet and gentle. Starting about a week ago he started attacking my smallest girl, he tried to attack my oldest girl who's job it is to feed them in the morning. She tells me he only did it once and I wasnt aware he was going after her. I thought it was only the smallest, who is 3 and I've had a rooster who did this before. We quickly got rid of that one. But I thought it may just be her small size, so I havnt left her alone with this one because of it . Well, now this rooster is also attacking me anytime I go into the coop. He grabbed my sleeve this morning and left a red mark on my wrist. I'm scared to enter the coop and so are my girls.
Obviously, we cant have this. My question is, is there anything that can be done to change this? Or do we simply need to get rid of him? He's a beautiful rooster and seemed great in the beginning, but no matter how beautiful or sweet I will not have a rooster that attacks. My girls, or myself. The first one he did it to was the smallest like I said, and I had to get aggressive with him and shove him away so I'm guessing he's attacking me now because I'm a threat?
It's a rooster's job to "protect his flock" and a "good " rooster will take this job seriously. My best rooster actually fought off a bald eagle (no kidding) neighbor witnessed it. And I didn't lose a single hen! He was covered in blood; head and comb torn up; one eye bloodied, swollen shut. I managed to save him (and his eye), and was glad I kept him when he got aggressive with me. The article below might offer some insights.
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...y-rooster-suddenly-become-aggressive-H68.aspx

As soon as there are children endangered by an aggressive rooster I would not even try to 'rehabilitate' him.
You are right. I've had enough experience with rosters that I will never have another one. The only chicks I buy are red sex link and black sex link.

I had a flat out gorgeous Black Copper Marans rooster. I mean The. Iconic. Rooster. When he hit his stride he got aggressive. Occasionally at first. Then more regularly. When I went into the coop I had to carry a long stick to announce my dominance.

I tried Ev. Er. EE. Thing. everyone here recommended because I was committed to keeping him to admire and to have that chocolate egg genetics. Nothing worked for long and in the end it was just a risk I wasn't willing to endure. I had a 9yo grandson whose safety I had to be concerned about. And even my 6'2" husband was uncomfortable going into the coop. I as the only one willing to be around old M. Maurice.

We put him down. My husband and I together. We both hated doing it and having to do it but it was the right decision. Still miss him!

Our current roo is one of his by a Cream Legbar. Some folks will say that you don't want the cockerel of an aggressive roo. Not our experience. Rocky is totally mellow. I'd trust him around a toddler.

You get to enjoy your chickens! When you get rid of the risk they'll be a joy again.

I have 2 cockerels that are BCM x Cream Legbar and they're such handsome guys! I love this mix so much and I love how you can clearly see both breeds in each bird. One is not so nice and the other is a very intelligent and gentle guy. He will actually attack his 2 flockmates (bachelor flock) when they start trying to flog me.
Actually they're roosters now, as they just turned 1 year old on May 10th.

I have no advice as I've got 2 jerks in my bachelor flock and another cockerel in my "teenager" flock (hatched in August 2019) that has bitten myself and my 8 year old daughter several times, but I am such a ridiculous softie and keep excusing his behavior because he is at the bottom of the pecking order and is super nervous. I need to grow a backbone and woman up a bit, so please overlook me. I do wish you the very best with this guy and your other chickens.

Depending on breed, those spurs are no joke!

NO. Breed does not matter. You are human and they are just chickens. He's not a Velociraptor that's 10 foot tall. He's just a rooster. They are not rottweilers or bobcats. They are just chickens.

"those spurs are no joke!" I have never heard any case where a chicken spur doing vital damage to a human. Cat scratches are worse. If those spurs make you scared then take them off. It's not hard.

NO. Breed does not matter. You are human and they are just chickens. He's not a Velociraptor that's 10 foot tall. He's just a rooster. They are not rottweilers or bobcats. They are just chickens.

"those spurs are no joke!" I have never heard any case where a chicken spur doing vital damage to a human. Cat scratches are worse. If those spurs make you scared then take them off. It's not hard.

I do have scars from a roosters spurs, so while it may not be extreme, they can do a lot of damage.

Cull him now. Trying to fix a roo might be OK for adults but is not worth it with kids involved. My life has gotten a lot more peaceful since I have have zero patience with aggressive Roo's. One strike your out. Their not only a pain to deal with I don't want that temperment bred into my flock.

I say no. This is the perfect time to show the children to take charge and not be afraid. Teach your children. to be around animals. Or will you let them just be afraid of any little thing and end up on a you to video as an adult running away from a chicken LOL Or on second thought go ahead it is very entertaining.

We had a Roo that we got along with 7 pullets that he was with since hatchlings. He fit in with our other 10-12 hens & the 7 pullets. He was always a bit timid but as he matured and felt the “ladies” were his & got aggressive. The hens began looking beat up, like he was hurting them While mating. But once he went after my 3 year old granddaughter, my son saw what he was doing and grabbed the Roo & stopped him. My son put him down. He was too much of a liability and risk to my 4 grandchildren. He was very beautiful but like you said, that doesn’t matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom