Aggressive Rooster - Best Rooster Breed

Pics
here my two cents on this,

It really depends on the rooster temperament really.
I had a Buff Orpington who was a great rooster that did his job well and saved my hens saves twice, but was a massive jerk to everyone and everything (even hens if they had a tomato) at the end of the day he would be on my lap getting face scratches. I miss him every day.

I now have a bantam Cochin; This little guy is a pushover with an anxiety issue. he takes care of his hens really well and makes sure that everyone gets something but i would never trust him to protect my flock like i did my Orpington. This cochin didnt even give my Boyfreind a look when my roo met him.

Everyone’s sentiments so far are pretty much the same and my thoughts coincide with theirs. Do not rehome him. Dispatch the bird now as something will happen. As Barney Fife would say, “Nip it in the bud!”

I went through many many cockerels until I found the right one. He is #13 to be exact. He is a Welsummer over a Barred Rock cross and is the cockerel I’ve always wanted. Now granted he is only 7 months old and things can still change, but I’m hoping for the best. :fl

As others have noted, I too kept my first aggressive male way too long. He was about 13 months old when I finally processed him. I really wanted him and just had to see if he got any better after he turned a year. Nope. The first cockerel I processed was a mere 13 weeks old.

IMHO, the biggest reason my current cockerel has turned out decent, so far, is because he was raised by a flock of 21 older hens. He didn’t have time to give me a second look and contemplate flogging me. I’m telling you, they kept that poor boy on his toes and always on the run. It seems he has grown up with more respect because of that and he has since earned most of the girls’ respect. He’s still working on my oldest three OG’s. ;) (OG = Original Gangsta hens):gig

He has now brought the 12 newest pullets into the flock. They are “goo goo” over him and should all be laying within the next few weeks. I’m sure the older girls don’t mind a bit.

I know there’s a ratio of 1 male to ~10 females, but every single egg I’ve cracked is fertile. And my ratio is 1 to 37. May be another reason he doesn’t bother me, you reckon? :lau

I have gone against conventional wisdom just a tad by hand feeding him treats first and letting him call the girls over. He is as gentle as can be when taking treats out of my hand. Some of my girls will pert near take a finger off! :eek: Every evening, on the roost, I will pet him and scratch his comb and wattles while I talk to him telling him how thankful I am for him. Stupid I know, but hey, whatever works. I secretly thinks he loves the attention, as his girls can’t see! As he was maturing, I always kept a hand on him. Everything I had read said not to handle the males after you realized they were cockerels, but I had followed those rules with most of the other 12 cockerels to no avail so I thought what the heck. I’m just gonna follow my own instincts/gut and go from there. I mean, what’s one more “cock in the pot.” There for a while my crock pot was nicknamed the “CockPot.”

The only draw back with him is he is a mixed breed so I cannot use him for breeding my purebred hens; however, he will produce some meat and eggs for our table and that’s a plus.

Later on I hope to find a good purebred rooster to breed with.

Good luck finding a good boy. I know you will, I promise.

I have two things to say:
1. I have found that rooster temperament mainly depends on the rooster however some breeds are more likely to be nice than others however I currently have a prefect RIR rooster witch generally are very mean.
2. On some younger roosters when they are young and still find their place on the pecking order when they approach you you can chase them for a few feet and if they get close give them a quick kick this will assert you above him in the pecking order.

My all time favorite rooster and my oldest rooster was killed in January by a tomcat. He was a White Rock. He never ever threatened anyone. I had a Buckeye rooster that once flapped his wings at me but many times tried to threaten my husband. Our white rock was so good to his hens. He would never eat scraps I would bring without calling the girls first. I would throw them directly to him but he would step back so a hen could have it. I miss him! I didn't replace him with a White Rock but I might next year. Was afraid I would be disappointed!

Hi, I HAD the same problem and he only got worse when people came over. Last week he attacked me and broke my arm. He was a large Barred Rock, which are usually a lot nicer, I don't know why he got like this but I had to put a stop to it. He actually injured several Family members but I wouldn't take a chance on him nailing 1 of my Grandkids. FYI, my Hens are much happier, too. I tried several things, clipped his wings, trimmed his Claws, (back ones), even tied Him up. (that was heart breaking and I'd never do it again) but he just got more aggressive, the more I tried to intervene. I hope someone out there has a better solution then what I had to do.
I have to respond to you because we have a barred rock Roo and he is ready for the freezer. He’s so nasty. I already broke my leg 4 months ago when we had a beautiful Phoenix that was worse than the broad rock. We have lots of hens to go around. I am rehabilitating my Mr. O and I think he is Cochran breed? He’s sweet as pie. He likes his space but has never shown threat to me. Loves his evening massage since his feathers were plucked by the dogs. Mr. Os fault. He ventured two fences/fields over‍♀️

Attachments

• 6881212D-9CF4-48E3-843E-1817FB8B4ED1.jpeg
    6881212D-9CF4-48E3-843E-1817FB8B4ED1.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 17
Ugh it's so hard! I love him because I raised him and he is my first boy, but at the same time I hate him and he terrifies me and everyone else. I just can't seem to correct his behavior. I'm so sorry you were injured. That sounds terrible!
I tried as well and raised them. I have only experienced one nice Roo in the past year and 1/2 raising hens/Roos. We usually get them free from the hatchery. They can be nice, but the one time you turn your back, it’s all over. I’ve learned many times including a broken leg. Sometimes they just don’t learn. Not worth the danger and fear.

I have to respond to you because we have a barred rock Roo and he is ready for the freezer. He’s so nasty. I already broke my leg 4 months ago when we had a beautiful Phoenix that was worse than the broad rock. We have lots of hens to go around. I am rehabilitating my Mr. O and I think he is Cochran breed? He’s sweet as pie. He likes his space but has never shown threat to me. Loves his evening massage since his feathers were plucked by the dogs. Mr. Os fault. He ventured two fences/fields over‍♀️
Plucked or not he is a very handsome boy! And what a look in his eye!

Bantam not cochran‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom