Aggressive Rooster - Best Rooster Breed

Pics
I currently have a 14 month old Olive Egger rooster (Blue Ameraucana × Black Copper Marans) that is extremely aggressive towards humans. He is great with the hens and is very attentive and always alerts them to food, predators, and when it's time for bed. However, we recently had 2 intruders and he did NOTHING. We had a neighbors Guniea visit our coop a few weeks ago and it pecked one of our hens a few times and the rooster didn't do anything about it. Yesterday we had a skunk in our coop because we left the doors open for them to free range and again the rooster did nothing. It seems that the rooster only protects the hens against us. My 3 year old niece loves the chickens and I would never forgive myself if the rooster attacked her. He's already scared away my mother in law and to be honest I hate him. We are considering getting rid of him and are wondering if there are specific breeds of rooster that are known for being great with the flock and docile towards people. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated :)

Since joining BackYard Chickens, I’ve learned lots about people’s rooster experiences. I can only offer advice from my experience (so take it with a grain of salt), but I’ve been lucky with roosters and happen to love them (maybe that’s my secret :confused:).

I’ve only had experience with two EE/Ameraucana roosters in my life. The first was with an aggressive one we adopted from a friend when I was young (because at that point in my life, ALL my roosters had been good boys - if not friendly, at least non-aggressive). My ‘nice’ roosters were mostly mixed breeds, and not necessarily descended from the friendlier breeds. I always told people that the secret to getting nice roosters was to raise them from eggs and spend time handling them and treating them like beloved pets. That method doesn’t work for everyone, I have learned, but it’s worked for me. But the new rooster was aggressive and since I was still a kid, I reacted accordingly - ran away screaming and roamed my yard with a form of defense, just in case (usually a stick or a rake).

Looks like your roo might be past that the point of extra cuddles=a sweet boy, though. Which leads me to the second EE/Ameraucana rooster I’ve had experience with. He showed up in our neighborhood when I was away at college and was terrorizing the neighbors. By that time, mean roosters didn’t scare me anymore. One day I walked up to him and, yes, he started attacking my legs, but I reached down and picked him up and just started petting him. He calmed after that and from that point on when he’d come running toward me he’d stop and glance up at me as if he remembered I wasn’t afraid of him.

So, you can try that method - tolerating a few scratches until you can get ahold of him to pick him up and just hold him for a while (but be careful because I had a roo once I had raised since he was about a month old who turned on me when he matured. I had to wrap a towel around him and even as I held him he STILL managed to peck me a few times. That was the only time in my life a rooster I raised could not be tamed). BUT I’ve also read that if you establish yourself as the dominant ‘rooster’ he may not be as protective of the hens (though it looks like yours already slacking on the job).

ALSO, if you are successful and holding him a bit discourages him from attacking you, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll leave any other family members alone. Would hate for him to go after your niece (and have her traumatized for life). Anyway, hope this helps somewhat! ;)

I free range my girls a lot on a big piece of property. We have not had any issues with predators other than the skunk yesterday and I have seen a hawk or two over the last few months. For piece of mind I want a rooster to protect and alert the hens. Plus we hatch our own chicks.
Most roosters are just an alarm to warn the hens of danger. Once in a while you'll come across one that will put him self between the hens and danger, you want to keep and breed these. Even more rare is to have a rooster that will actively attack a predator to protect his flock. I've had a few and they were all Game mixes. When I realized I had a "special" rooster that was human friendly but loved to attack anything that came on his domain, I started breeding him. Named him Gojira (after Godzilla). Several of his sons are like him but only about one in ten. Three of his young sons killed a possum that made the mistake of trying to cross the yard one day not long ago. Sadly, Gojira isn't with us anymore. Even though he thought he was 50 feet tall, he was no match for a coyote, but he did give then hens time enough to get away.

Since joining BackYard Chickens, I’ve learned lots about people’s rooster experiences. I can only offer advice from my experience (so take it with a grain of salt), but I’ve been lucky with roosters and happen to love them (maybe that’s my secret :confused:).

I’ve only had experience with two EE/Ameraucana roosters in my life. The first was with an aggressive one we adopted from a friend when I was young (because at that point in my life, ALL my roosters had been good boys - if not friendly, at least non-aggressive). My ‘nice’ roosters were mostly mixed breeds, and not necessarily descended from the friendlier breeds. I always told people that the secret to getting nice roosters was to raise them from eggs and spend time handling them and treating them like beloved pets. That method doesn’t work for everyone, I have learned, but it’s worked for me. But the new rooster was aggressive and since I was still a kid, I reacted accordingly - ran away screaming and roamed my yard with a form of defense, just in case (usually a stick or a rake).

Looks like your roo might be past that the point of extra cuddles=a sweet boy, though. Which leads me to the second EE/Ameraucana rooster I’ve had experience with. He showed up in our neighborhood when I was away at college and was terrorizing the neighbors. By that time, mean roosters didn’t scare me anymore. One day I walked up to him and, yes, he started attacking my legs, but I reached down and picked him up and just started petting him. He calmed after that and from that point on when he’d come running toward me he’d stop and glance up at me as if he remembered I wasn’t afraid of him.

So, you can try that method - tolerating a few scratches until you can get ahold of him to pick him up and just hold him for a while (but be careful because I had a roo once I had raised since he was about a month old who turned on me when he matured. I had to wrap a towel around him and even as I held him he STILL managed to peck me a few times. That was the only time in my life a rooster I raised could not be tamed). BUT I’ve also read that if you establish yourself as the dominant ‘rooster’ he may not be as protective of the hens (though it looks like yours already slacking on the job).

ALSO, if you are successful and holding him a bit discourages him from attacking you, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll leave any other family members alone. Would hate for him to go after your niece (and have her traumatized for life). Anyway, hope this helps somewhat! ;)
Our guy is huge and hard for me to hold. My husband tries that method, but it doesn't work anymore. Last time he picked him up the rooster pecked him in the face. That's when we realized there was nothing else we could do to correct his behavior :(

Our guy is huge and hard for me to hold. My husband tries that method, but it doesn't work anymore. Last time he picked him up the rooster pecked him in the face. That's when we realized there was nothing else we could do to correct his behavior :(

Oh, bummer! Yeah, sounds like your boy is a real pill :(. My Charlemagne (boy I rescued from a stray cat when he was about a month old) pecked me in the face. I still kept him (separated from everyone else, of course, because I didn’t have the heart to let him roam free - where he might attack us in the yard on a daily basis or get killed by the dogs or other predators), and I would still wrap him in a towel if ever I had to check on him for fleas or other possible ailments. But after he pecked me that one time, I was careful. Don’t know why he was so aggressive (maybe because he was an American Game fowl, but I’d had game fowl roosters before who weren’t aggressive towards me), but I tried to make the best of it. Good luck with your situation!

Oh wow, you are going to get answers all over the board on this one.
People are going to tell you about their experience with a single friendly rooster they own like Orpington or Silkie.
IMO, breeds that are aloof and skittish are non-human aggressive and friendly breeds will attack because they have no fear of you.
I've had over 30 breeds of chickens and have been attacked by a handful of roosters till I verified that they taste just like chicken.
I now only raise black Penedesencas. After about 100 or so of these roosters, not one has ever indicated an inclination to attack me. They are also very protective from predators. I even witnessed one dropping a hawk out of the air.
Some have met their demise by giving themselves up to save the flock being taken by coyotes and Siberian Huskies.
Here's what they look like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-penedesenca-hatching-eggs.1235753/#post-19829873
thank you for this info, my Orpington Rooster has been inclined to jump on me and I wack him with a stick or the small gardening rake I carry into the coop he still has been inclined to jump at me, hes a stinker, Ive had several ROTTEN Roosters that I wound up hating because they terrorized me, its kinda funny looking back on it but at the time it was very aggravating

Aren't Shamos even taller? If it didn't mean having only one rooster...
Mary
I am very much looking forward to some mature O Shamos. ~36 hours old here, currently at 3 days old.
20190816_080244.jpg

Back
Top Bottom