Aggressive Rooster Help Please

My first cockerel was a brute of a monster but I thought I could train him. How wrong I was lol.
I did manage to teach him a bit of manners but he was always looking for an opportunity to charge once your back was turned and pingu looks exactly the same. As soon as the person feeding enters the pen you should be seeking him out first! Ignoring him is the opposite. It's his pen (he thinks so) so when you go in there and ignore him that's like pretending he is not there which will drive him mad, you should be announcing your approach to him, he should acknowledge you, you acknowledge him, then any of this lifting his head and bolstering his chest out and you grab him and turn him on his back, they really don't like this, then turn him right way round and press his head into the ground, stare at him and hold him there for a few seconds.
It won't solve your problems but it will teach him some respect. Mine would always try his luck eventually again.
I remember one time he got me real good in my knee cap, I was limping around for days but not before I swung round and gave him the biggest kick ever that might have even broken some of his ribs.
He was terrified of me for a week, thought I'd permanently traumatised him but he soon forgot that incident too and within a week was back to his usual self.

I actually like the cattle prod idea but I also know there are better behaved cockerels to be had too and it makes such a difference if you'd ever had a nice cock you wouldn't think twice about getting rid of pingu.

Thanks again for all these thoughts and sorry for the slow replies! I am broaching the subject of culling him with my Mum (it's her decision really). I really feel like we have failed somehow in our management... we never had rooster issues until our last boy became oddly aggressive with the hens (was totally fine with people) and so he was humanely dispatched. We had a gap without a rooster and the hens couldn't seem to settle without one, a lot of bullying going on, and we decided to add Pingu. For the first few months it was really perfect and I have to say that the flock is much happier with him, the hens are all totally calm with each other, but it's no good if Pingu spoils it for my Mum. It is a difficult issue as my brother who lives with my parents, although is 42, loves him and has no issues with him at all. Pingu will come up to him happily, is never aggressive and my brother can pick him up and carry him around.

@Eden83_haaretz, thanks for your thoughts too. I'm not sure if you're able to see the video I added earlier to get a bit of an idea (and I am not good at estimating space) but the chickens have a lot of room and two large sheds (joined with a hole in the wall) for a coop. I guess we have done something wrong but Pingu has a lot of space, 12 hens, no health issues we can tell, plenty of food and water stations and basically nothing I can think of to explain his behaviour. Perhaps he is just that way inclined and we are only seeing it now since this is his first spring as a mature guy.

I think once Pingu is gone we will just stop having roosters as it's depressing to take them on and cull them because we have failed to keep them in order, really makes you feel guilty! I suppose other people manage hens fine without them, but I guess we may also need to remove certain hens who are troublesome too. It's disappointing as we have always enjoyed keeping roos and were so happy with our Pingu addition.
Sorry you have to go through this. Yeah I agree with the others, don't think it's your fault, some animals just have their character. If having a rooster is something you want maybe you should search and purchase an adult rooster that is docile, I'm sure you could find one. And like you said, if there are hens that also have bad character traits, make sure they don't reproduce. In the end, as humans we've domesticated animals that way, don't feel like you failed.

This is what I did when my roosters I hatched from eggs started showing aggressive tendencies with me. (Not spurring me, they wanted to mate with my hands and feet. :he) It seemed to work but I had to be consistent with it. Only thing is, I don't know if your mother could do this, and he says each member of the family would have to do it to show dominance...

Right now, the three boys I kept can be picked up and petted. (Their father that we bought was wild and I finally tamed him somewhat.) Two actually want to fly up to my arm constantly; they really like people. I am always on guard around those two, not because they attack but because they like me too much and will hop on my back for a ride with no warning, and it's always a shock to get hit by a flying 8 pound rooster. 😅

I hope you can figure out something!

Have you tried holding him like a football under your arm? Recently I tried this with my Sumatra Cockerel who out of the blue kicked me up my leg, when I walked into the coop. After I held him like that for about 30 seconds he avoids me, rather then attack me. He's gonna have 5 spurs per leg, so he can inflict some wicked damage if he continues when he's older. So far, no more attacks from him. He knows who the boss is now.
20210405_094905.jpg

Have you tried holding him like a football under your arm? Recently I tried this with my Sumatra Cockerel who out of the blue kicked me up my leg, when I walked into the coop. After I held him like that for about 30 seconds he avoids me, rather then attack me. He's gonna have 5 spurs per leg, so he can inflict some wicked damage if he continues when he's older. So far, no more attacks from him. He knows who the boss is now.View attachment 2663149
5 spurs per leg?! :th Ouch! What kind of rooster is he, I thought all roosters had one long spur per leg?

He's beautiful but 5 spurs per leg is terrifying. 😂

Have you tried holding him like a football under your arm? Recently I tried this with my Sumatra Cockerel who out of the blue kicked me up my leg, when I walked into the coop. After I held him like that for about 30 seconds he avoids me, rather then attack me. He's gonna have 5 spurs per leg, so he can inflict some wicked damage if he continues when he's older. So far, no more attacks from him. He knows who the boss is now.View attachment 2663149
Five spurs per leg?! OMG didn't know that there were breeds that had that... I'm stunned...

Thanks all for your input. I just went in with him this afternoon and as you can see, he is not really wild:

I walked within a few feet of him (just getting where I needed to go) and he always moved from me and was totally fine, but he will be like this and then the next day will decide to have a go.

@Mrs. K you may well be right. The tricky thing is that my Mum doesn't want to cull him either but I agree that we can't carry on like this.
Some roosters are just too dense to recognize the difference between a real threat to their hens and the caretaker. It is just not worth the daily trouble or in your mothers case the risk as he can and will cause serious harm further on.
They start going for the legs and work their way up to the face and especially the eyes. They peck really hard and bite with their beaks as well while doing so.

What I noticed in your video: It seems as if you give ambiguous signals stretching out your hand and making cooing noises, all the while he should be respectful of your space and not come near you.
I see you touch the hens etc. which of course is not to his liking. But anyway, he should learn to respect your space and not you respecting his. He has to always move away as soon as you walk in his direction. Walk steadily right through him if he does not retreat and follow up until he runs from you. This way you might make him understand that he has no say in where or when you move around in the yard, coop etc.

But honestly, as this is already going on for some time and is getting worse with every attack, he might just respect you and go on attacking the rest of your family, which leads me to think it would be best to just try with another rooster.

There are more than enough beautiful and respectful roosters getting butchered because they cannot find a new home. No need to put up with a human aggressive one.

I only got my first flock late last fall, and was lucky enough to get an excellent rooster. But this I do know--if your mother were to trip and fall and become injured, or even break her hip, you will be far more upset about not getting rid of him than you are now about what to do with him. If you don't want to eat him, maybe you could rehome him.

Back
Top Bottom