Aggressive Rooster Help Please

I have tried the holding while working or while just sitting in the yard. He will turn around once I put him down and try to go at me. He will wait until I least expect it. He jumped the back of my husband’s legs the other day and got me head on. I have a cut on my shin. I keep a net it rake handle by the gate when I walk in. As soon as I grab it he sends the alarm and my hens scatter! They no longer are relaxed around me. ☹️ He is in jail and I am looking for another home for him. He’s 7 months old and an Andalusian. Beautiful bird but I’m done. I want to pet and hold my hens again..

Attachments

• 964AB05C-BF69-47CB-87D5-4F43735C3EBA.jpeg
    964AB05C-BF69-47CB-87D5-4F43735C3EBA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
You have given him many chances, and he's failed. Your mother doesn't need to watch out for this bird, and he will continue to be dangerous, likely worse over time.
Idiots who attack the giants who bring food aren't worth the problems they cause, and while he's plotting his next attack, he's not taking care of his flock.
Human aggression is part genetic and part management, and this bird lost out on how to behave well.
I'm also a senior citizen, and have no time or interest in dancing around a rooster who's a jerk.
Mary
I agree. Mine is my second go at a rooster. Not worth it.
judy

This is long, sorry, and I expect most of you will say to eat him but it's worth an ask. :p

Start of September 2020 we took on our rooster, Pingu. 3.5 months old, very good-natured with adults, children, cats and most importantly, the hens. He settled in really well and solved the issues we had with a very dominant hen causing havoc - since he arrived the flock has been very harmonious. We do not breed chickens and added another rooster to settle the flock, as it did, and also just to give one a home and because we enjoy keeping them.

From December through to April chickens here had to be confined indoors due to the bird flu epidemic. Over winter, Pingu once or twice half-heartedly went for one of my nieces. However, we gave him the benefit of the doubt as I think it was quite stressful for him, protecting his flock in an enclosed space. I worked with my niece on how to behave (ie. not backing away from him and being nervous, holding her ground whilst still being respectful of him and his role) and it stopped.

A little later he tried it with my Mum. She is their primary carer as the flock lives with my parents. She is 71 and quite sprightly for her age, but a little smaller than the rest of us (around 5'5") and not so bold. We were then able to take down the polytunnel and let them go outside again, a huge relief for all involved, and we thought this would solve the issue.

Fast forward to May and he will now try and attack my Mum everyday and has done for weeks. He will try it with me too. We have read various advice on the subject and worked really hard to stop it, but I'm at somewhat of a loss. He will never, ever try to attack men in our family and much of the time with me he is totally fine, then suddenly he will just change his mind and have a go - this is particularly noticeable if I have not been in there for a few days and I assume because he feels he gets the upper-hand with my Mum and then thinks he'll try it with me too. This morning my Mum went in and let them out, fed them, all fine and calm. She got to the orchard gate to come out and he jumped up behind her and attacked her legs.

So, what can we do, apart from cull him? I do think he deserves a chance... it is his first spring as a mature roo (and I heard a lot of roosters over here went a bit crazy lately) and he is really excellent with the hens and most people. However he is making my Mum afraid. My nieces actually emigrated so children don't go in there anymore, and I wouldn't allow it currently with his behaviour. When dealing with him we try to:

- be respectful of him and what he does, ie. not stomp about and intentionally get in his way, but to give an air of authority. We move at a sensible pace, don't make lots of noise and don't crowd him and the hens
- IF he approaches looking like he will attack then we stand tall, make ourselves look as big as possible. I generally then take a determined step towards him and stare him out and he will back off, but I am not sure my Mum is confident enough to do this
- we don't back away from him or let him think we are nervous
- we do not intentionally hit/kick or do anything to hurt him but we carry a stick and if he tries to attack, we hold this up so he is essentially just fighting the stick and we use it to push him away. He gives up and for the rest of your time in there will keep away, until you go in the next day and it starts over again!

He has 12 hens and loads of space. We culled our last rooster as he became aggressive with the hens (but was great with people!) and now we have the opposite problem and I feel pretty bad about the prospect of culling him... I am sure some of it is down to our management of him and so we'd like to work on that. Tonight my partner and I will take him off the perch at night and file his spurs blunt as a starting point.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

This is long, sorry, and I expect most of you will say to eat him but it's worth an ask. :p

Start of September 2020 we took on our rooster, Pingu. 3.5 months old, very good-natured with adults, children, cats and most importantly, the hens. He settled in really well and solved the issues we had with a very dominant hen causing havoc - since he arrived the flock has been very harmonious. We do not breed chickens and added another rooster to settle the flock, as it did, and also just to give one a home and because we enjoy keeping them.

From December through to April chickens here had to be confined indoors due to the bird flu epidemic. Over winter, Pingu once or twice half-heartedly went for one of my nieces. However, we gave him the benefit of the doubt as I think it was quite stressful for him, protecting his flock in an enclosed space. I worked with my niece on how to behave (ie. not backing away from him and being nervous, holding her ground whilst still being respectful of him and his role) and it stopped.

A little later he tried it with my Mum. She is their primary carer as the flock lives with my parents. She is 71 and quite sprightly for her age, but a little smaller than the rest of us (around 5'5") and not so bold. We were then able to take down the polytunnel and let them go outside again, a huge relief for all involved, and we thought this would solve the issue.

Fast forward to May and he will now try and attack my Mum everyday and has done for weeks. He will try it with me too. We have read various advice on the subject and worked really hard to stop it, but I'm at somewhat of a loss. He will never, ever try to attack men in our family and much of the time with me he is totally fine, then suddenly he will just change his mind and have a go - this is particularly noticeable if I have not been in there for a few days and I assume because he feels he gets the upper-hand with my Mum and then thinks he'll try it with me too. This morning my Mum went in and let them out, fed them, all fine and calm. She got to the orchard gate to come out and he jumped up behind her and attacked her legs.

So, what can we do, apart from cull him? I do think he deserves a chance... it is his first spring as a mature roo (and I heard a lot of roosters over here went a bit crazy lately) and he is really excellent with the hens and most people. However he is making my Mum afraid. My nieces actually emigrated so children don't go in there anymore, and I wouldn't allow it currently with his behaviour. When dealing with him we try to:

- be respectful of him and what he does, ie. not stomp about and intentionally get in his way, but to give an air of authority. We move at a sensible pace, don't make lots of noise and don't crowd him and the hens
- IF he approaches looking like he will attack then we stand tall, make ourselves look as big as possible. I generally then take a determined step towards him and stare him out and he will back off, but I am not sure my Mum is confident enough to do this
- we do not intentionally hit/kick or do anything to hurt him but we carry a stick and if he tries to attack, we hold this up so he is essentially just fighting the stick and we use it to push him away. He gives up and for the rest of your time in there will keep away, until you go in the next day and it starts over again!

He has 12 hens and loads of space. We culled our last rooster as he became aggressive with the hens (but was great with people!) and now we have the opposite problem and I feel pretty bad about the prospect of culling him... I am sure some of it is down to our management of him and so we'd like to work on that. Tonight my partner and I will take him off the perch at night and file his spurs blunt as a starting point.

Sounds harsh, but I carry a 2" PVC pipe 4 feet long and hit mine as hard as I could. At first, it worked ok, but he was biding his time, and one day he caught me off guard. So I threw him in the yard and one of my Dobies had a really fresh raw diet that day. I don't tolerate aggression in any of my animals. Life is too short. All these "respect his place, walk softly," tricks don't really work.
I solved the issue by getting a Salmon Favorolle roo. Nice size bird, beautiful boy and this breed is known for being docile. I have to admit he is very docile. He minds his own business and doesn't even look at me, and yet he's good to his girls.
You might consider getting one.

After reading multiple suggestions of picking the rooster up and holding him, I'd like to give you a warning that some roosters bite and will bite you right in the face if given the chance. Some cockerels/roosters are just A-holes. On the other hand, it's really nice to have a good rooster. My best boys are a Silverudd's Blue (#1 all around), Svart Hona, barnyard mixes that includes silkies, and silkies (but pure silkies seem to be dog/predator targets in my personal experience - even the ones with unobstructed views). I do wish you the best in deciding what to do. I hope that your mother stays safe and well

I Never keep a rooster that is aggressive at all. It's never worth it. I once got 17 Rhode Island Reds, they were showable gorgeous birds. Five were roosters, as they grew up they became more and more aggressive. I determined to make every effort to make them not aggressive but accepting and tame. Nothing worked even after six months and many hours and many diff approaches. I have them to a friend who made them into tomales. Ole.

I was trying to work with mine, until he attacked my 2 year old granddaughter. He got her on the back and face by her eye. My husband has always dealt with culling. either for food, sickness or whatever reason. When that roo hurt my baby girl, The 22 was out within a few minutes and his life ended quick, by me. You've given plenty of chances and I know it isn't easy (Unless they attack your granddaughters face!) But he should be culled or given away if he isn't behaving better. We had another aggressive roo but penned him seperately, carried a large stick simply to hold up if he tried to attack. It took about a week of that and he got much better. He free ranged, was gentle with his girls and we haven't had an issue since. Sometimes , unfortunately nothing will work.

I use a spray bottle with water and aim for his head. Walk towards him spraying liberally! If he follows you, walk towards him spraying all the time. Our roo recognizes the bottle!

I have the same issues with my silkie bantam Pepé. If I bend down at the waist in front of him he gets into his challenge pose and poofs his neck out. I started squatting down with food in my hand and it's HELPED. Meaning he may still go into challenge pose or give me a good peck. I only squat down in front of him when I have a treat. He's a little leary at first but he'll eat it from my hand and be on his way. Another thing he does is attack my legs as I walk by. What I noticed again HELPS is when I see him about to pounce...stop. face him. Take a few calm relaxed steps backwards and then just continue on your way. I've tried the stomping and flapping my arms like some people say to do but that only got me ganged up on by my other roosters🙄 also sometimes he'll come into the coop on cleaning day. I'll talk to him but make my body language say 'i don't acknowledge that your even in here' he will still check me out and if I make a sudden move or get too close hell peck. The biggest thing to do like everyone said is to not show fear. Keep your body language calm and relaxed and hopefully he'll start to back off like Pepé has. Good luck with him!

Back
Top Bottom