Aggressive Rooster Help Please

When I first got roosters years ago, the best advice I got on here was, don’t let it be his yard, it is always your yard, walk through him. I’m NOT saying kick him but, make him move for you, submissive animals move for dominant animals, if you are moving around him it is his yard. I handle the hens and chicks, they holler, he comes to make sure everyone is ok, sees it is me, walks around concerned but knowing there is nothing he can do, and trusting I won’t hurt them.

I like your approach. Please don’t hit him with the stick. If he fights with it that’s one thing, but hitting him with it may just make him more angry because you’re seen as being aggressive. Do you hand feed the girls? Pick them up and cuddle, that sort of thing?

It may be something you’ll deal with from time to time, particularly in Spring when his hormones are raging. He’s still quite young really, just about a year and he may settle in once he gets a bit older. that’s been my experience and my sons with his roo as well, although my son still has to keep an eye on his roo sometimes.

One thing that has worked quite well for me is to take a few treats out, maybe a handful of mealworms or a bit of scratch, whatever the flock enjoys, and drop those at the roosters feet so he has something to call the girls for and he’s occupied while I’m busy. Also, Mom shouldn’t turn her back on him for a bit until he has calmed down and if the stick works, she should carry it. Another thing you might try is jail. Just for a few days, but I’ve had to do it and I’d rather do that than beat an animal. The stew pot doesn’t have to be the answer all the time either.

Good luck! I hope you can figure something out.
Great response! Understanding a rooster goes a long ways. I have heard using a broom with a gentle sweep to the side can help protect yourself and stop him in his tracks. Spring always seems to be a time when hormones are raging and they get a lot more feisty. I have to separate my roos every year this time of year until they settle down and not try to kill each other! I love when people here promote increasing understanding and finding ways to work with roosters (who are really doing their job) instead of wanting to kill them right away- so thank you!

Great response! Understanding a rooster goes a long ways. I have heard using a broom with a gentle sweep to the side can help protect yourself and stop him in his tracks. Spring always seems to be a time when hormones are raging and they get a lot more feisty. I have to separate my roos every year this time of year until they settle down and not try to kill each other! I love when people here promote increasing understanding and finding ways to work with roosters (who are really doing their job) instead of wanting to kill them right away- so thank you!
Thanks! I agree everyone seems to say toss him in the cook pot, which will resolve the issue, but the keeper doesn’t learn from that except how to kill a chicken.

I'm sorry you're dealing with a now mean rooster..

I have a very large flock, of about 70 hens and 6 Roosters. Of all the Roosters, only 1 is actively aggressive with anyone.... Everyone except me! (He does challenge me every once in a while, particularly if I change the shoes I wear.)

This is what I do... Idk if it will work in your case, but it is worth a shot.

I wear boots all the time when I go out there, so when I see him near me, I lift up my foot towards him to get him ready to attack my foot. I can easily evade his flogging with my foot, since that is the only part of me he is trying to attack. I keep making him jump to strike me (and miss) with my foot until he gets tired and backs down. I wish I had a video, as I'm not sure if this explains it well... He completely respects me and leaves me alone afterwards. I might have to do this maybe once in a blue moon. He doesn't actively go after me or anything, but when I'm in his space, he probably feels the need to make himself known. I never kick or hurt my roosters. I just tire him out and let him know that I am boss, by simply tiring him out 😂. I should note though, while he leaves me alone majority of the time, other family members still have to deal with him.

Again, not sure if this will work for you, but worth a try!

Wow, so many helpful and thoughtful replies! Thanks so much for your input, it has been really interesting reading people's different opinions. It's a bit tricky to answer so many individually but a few points:

- I think we have settled on the fact that he will be culled, but we don't like to rush decisions like this and it takes some days to come to terms with/discuss. I really respect (and in many ways agree with) those of you posting about giving him chances and not being too quick to end his life. It's a big deal for us and the final option, we would truly love to make it work, but we have tried many things now and day after day he persists.

- my Mum does now carry a water pistol and that is working very well as a deterrent for the moment, but there is no way she can go in there without that or a stick for defence and he will approach her aggressively everyday.

- many posts recommend picking the rooster up and I did try this, but in the daytime I have no chance. Even with thick gloves he cut my hands. My brother can pick him up without problems (and he is calm) so he could pass him over to me or my Mum and I am not nervous about holding him, but I think Mum would be and who can blame her really.

- I can pick him up off the perch at night, for example recently when we blunted off his spurs, but I'm not sure if that makes much difference to his overall attitude towards me or people in general.

- At the moment we always wear long boots going in. I defend myself with my foot/leg as another poster suggested and always make sure I "win", although I would never kick or aim to hurt him and rather just push him away forcefully until he accepts my dominance. However he does not give in easily and he is pure muscle - I am pretty robust and fairly confident around chickens but he has bruised my foot through my boots.

- Another post mentions "sweeping" him with a broom, no chance with this as he will stand his ground in that instance. He does not give in easily and that is the real crux of the issue... he doesn't just threaten or have a quick go, he will stand and fight you fiercely for 30 seconds if he feels like it, even if earlier in the day he seemed to respect you.

I fully accept that we chose to get him and that he really does do a great job with the hens, plus it is his first spring as a mature boy and in many ways doing his job, but I think those of you saying he is beyond help are probably right. We have lost confidence in him and the orchard used to be a place of peace and enjoyment whilst now my Mum spends as little time in there as possible. It's always sad for us to take a life but we wouldn't tolerate this aggression in another animal and we also have to consider what would happen if he escaped and attacked other people like children next door.

Last edited:
This is long, sorry, and I expect most of you will say to eat him but it's worth an ask. :p

Start of September 2020 we took on our rooster, Pingu. 3.5 months old, very good-natured with adults, children, cats and most importantly, the hens. He settled in really well and solved the issues we had with a very dominant hen causing havoc - since he arrived the flock has been very harmonious. We do not breed chickens and added another rooster to settle the flock, as it did, and also just to give one a home and because we enjoy keeping them.

From December through to April chickens here had to be confined indoors due to the bird flu epidemic. Over winter, Pingu once or twice half-heartedly went for one of my nieces. However, we gave him the benefit of the doubt as I think it was quite stressful for him, protecting his flock in an enclosed space. I worked with my niece on how to behave (ie. not backing away from him and being nervous, holding her ground whilst still being respectful of him and his role) and it stopped.

A little later he tried it with my Mum. She is their primary carer as the flock lives with my parents. She is 71 and quite sprightly for her age, but a little smaller than the rest of us (around 5'5") and not so bold. We were then able to take down the polytunnel and let them go outside again, a huge relief for all involved, and we thought this would solve the issue.

Fast forward to May and he will now try and attack my Mum everyday and has done for weeks. He will try it with me too. We have read various advice on the subject and worked really hard to stop it, but I'm at somewhat of a loss. He will never, ever try to attack men in our family and much of the time with me he is totally fine, then suddenly he will just change his mind and have a go - this is particularly noticeable if I have not been in there for a few days and I assume because he feels he gets the upper-hand with my Mum and then thinks he'll try it with me too. This morning my Mum went in and let them out, fed them, all fine and calm. She got to the orchard gate to come out and he jumped up behind her and attacked her legs.

So, what can we do, apart from cull him? I do think he deserves a chance... it is his first spring as a mature roo (and I heard a lot of roosters over here went a bit crazy lately) and he is really excellent with the hens and most people. However he is making my Mum afraid. My nieces actually emigrated so children don't go in there anymore, and I wouldn't allow it currently with his behaviour. When dealing with him we try to:

- be respectful of him and what he does, ie. not stomp about and intentionally get in his way, but to give an air of authority. We move at a sensible pace, don't make lots of noise and don't crowd him and the hens
- IF he approaches looking like he will attack then we stand tall, make ourselves look as big as possible. I generally then take a determined step towards him and stare him out and he will back off, but I am not sure my Mum is confident enough to do this
- we don't back away from him or let him think we are nervous
- we do not intentionally hit/kick or do anything to hurt him but we carry a stick and if he tries to attack, we hold this up so he is essentially just fighting the stick and we use it to push him away. He gives up and for the rest of your time in there will keep away, until you go in the next day and it starts over again!

He has 12 hens and loads of space. We culled our last rooster as he became aggressive with the hens (but was great with people!) and now we have the opposite problem and I feel pretty bad about the prospect of culling him... I am sure some of it is down to our management of him and so we'd like to work on that. Tonight my partner and I will take him off the perch at night and file his spurs blunt as a starting point.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.
Okay please start observing what you're wearing, especially the colour of your shoes and what you're holding whenever he attacks.

My rooster had a big problem with red colour. So I never wear red shoes near him. He also hates plastic buckets with a passion and treats them as fighting opponents.

Please start observing these things. Why would we ever cull a kid for something that is do easily solved?

My Brownie still goes nuts if anyone wears red shoes and goes for the foot. Remember, it's not you that he's attacking. It's some article that you're wearing or holding.

Okay please start observing what you're wearing, especially the colour of your shoes and what you're holding whenever he attacks.

My rooster had a big problem with red colour. So I never wear red shoes near him. He also hates plastic buckets with a passion and treats them as fighting opponents.

Please start observing these things. Why would we ever cull a kid for something that is do easily solved?

My Brownie still goes nuts if anyone wears red shoes and goes for the foot. Remember, it's not you that he's attacking. It's some article that you're wearing or holding.
While you are right about the colour red (orange, pink and patterns also trigger), many cockerels/roosters do definitely aim at the person no matter what they are wearing or carrying.

Making excuses for a dangerous animal who just won't give up 'attack mode' isn't the best answer. on a deserted island with the one person he 'so far' respects isn't ever going to be where he is!
Chickens recognize individual humans, whatever they happen to be wearing!!!
The OP's entire family is stressed, and rightly so, by this one bird. He won't suddenly change for the better, and comparing him to a naughty child? Just no.
Mary

I've been journaling an experimental technique with my rooster to tame his attitude if you want to check it out. He hasn't done himself a big enough favor to get off the cull list, but considering my plans I need a replacement before I eliminate him.

Not trying to dissuade you from culling him because mine is destined for the pot unless he miraculously turns into a little saint, which I do not foresee, but he has backed off enough to buy himself a little extra grace while I wait on a sufficient hatch to rear a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom