aggressive rooster solution?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensss, Aug 19, 2014.

1. chickensss

chickensss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    I have a golden comet rooster, he's only about 4 1/2 months old and he's very pretty, but he's aggressive toward people.. including me. he charges at me from across the yard and runs after me when I clean the coop! I've done nothing to him, I'm the one who feeds him and keeps his home clean! shouldn't he be nice to me? anyways, I think I might have a solution for this, besides getting rid of him. do u guys think that a boat whistle will scare him away when he comes after me?
    here's what I'll do:

when he decides he wants to charge at me, I will stomp my foot right in front of him and blow the boat whistle to kinda startle him so he won't do it again.
    *a boat whistle is quite loud and sort of has a hight pitch kinda sound if u blow it hard enough*

give ur opinions below please!

2. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    As I understand it, a mean rooster is a mean rooster. Some consider it a genetic defect and take steps to make sure he doesn't breed. He is still somewhat young and may be trained but I haven't heard many success stories. I wouldn't recommend passing the problem to someone else. My recommendation involves dumplings.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  3. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    Kids get the scalding pot, cutting board and fryer ready, were having T-Rex for dinner tonight lol.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Unfortunately, that is human logic, not chicken logic. You have a rooster who is already showing aggression - it is going to get worse, not better. Your best option is to rid yourself of this problem rooster. Were you seeking to have a rooster? Only ask as GC are sex-linked birds, so an "accidental" rooster is fairly easy to avoid - and if you are wanting a rooster in your flock there are so many nice roos out there that you don't need to put up with a nasty one.

5. chickensss

chickensss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    @Ol Grey Mare we didn't expect a rooster, we were just hoping for hens but that rooster just happened to get mixed in. he was nice at first but he turned into a monster. I guess we'll just have to think about giving him to a friend of ours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by